The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 40 breeder going and all was well but now I'm noticing little things in certian plants
Specs
nitrates: 5-10
phosphates: 2-3
potassium ?
lights 4 t5HO about 4 inches from surface of the water.
co2 makes my bubble counter green and I have checked based on ph and kh. it is a solid 30 ppm.
kh 2 degrees
gh 3 degrees

Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii) has a bad case of dot algae and the growth is almost like its crippled. The leaves curl up and I can't figure out why.
Pogostemon Erectus has nice growth, slower than I would like but it is also really small meaning it's leaves don't strech very far out. When I first planted them they stunted but the new shoots haven't stunted since. The growth seems a bit yellow also. I can't figure out why. Other plants are growth wonderfully.
My only thought would be my light is too intense making my need for co2 even greater which I am not supplying enough of. Any other info you need I'd be happy to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It may very well be chemically out competed. Leaves look submerged grown, but your tank is lush and so that may mean the death of something. Walstad's book has an eye opening chapter on allelopathy. It's intriguing at the very least.

Other than that, your water is soft.. I've never owned the plant, but where does it cone from? If it is a hard water plant, it might be craving some mg or calcium

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting you say that. It makes sense but then what can be done to fix the problem and helps those plants? Maybe root tabs directly under the plants? Will the plant better compete with something along those lines?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.