The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 75 G with discus, knife fish and a golden nugget planted on fluval substrate. the amazon sword has been doing well and over last 2 weeks noticed the leafs disintegrating. couldnt figure why. did water changes. ammonia -0 nitrite - 0 nitrate - medium. any help appreciated

·
Registered
629 Posts
+1 on trying a root tab or 2

It might also be iron? Fluval Stratum tends to have a few nutrients in it, medium amounts of N, P but small amounts of K. Hard to tell on iron. I know Amazonia soil has medium amounts of Fe. Although not all active substrates are the same.

Of course the 1 link to Fluval aquatics that talks about iron content returns a 500 server error. Lol!

Also do we know the age of the swords? Might be possible it's still transitioning to submersed?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Give it a root tab or two, its running low on something, most likely a macro nutrient
thank you. ordered tabs

+1 on trying a root tab or 2

It might also be iron? Fluval Stratum tends to have a few nutrients in it, medium amounts of N, P but small amounts of K. Hard to tell on iron. I know Amazonia soil has medium amounts of Fe. Although not all active substrates are the same.

Of course the 1 link to Fluval aquatics that talks about iron content returns a 500 server error. Lol!

Also do we know the age of the swords? Might be possible it's still transitioning to submersed?

thank you. amazon sword not really from amazon right ? will try adding iron if no help with tabs

·
Registered
629 Posts
thank you. amazon sword not really from amazon right ? will try adding iron if no help with tabs
No, no, most root tabs have plenty of iron in them! :)

I was just making a distinction between macro fertilizers and iron, which aren't usually lumped into the macro fertilizer category.

And no Amazon swords aren't really from the Amazon basin. Just in case this is why you asked, my reference to Amazonia was to ADA Amazonia soil. Often times used as the example for the active substrate category.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, no, most root tabs have plenty of iron in them! :)

I was just making a distinction between macro fertilizers and iron, which aren't usually lumped into the macro fertilizer category.

And no Amazon swords aren't really from the Amazon basin. Just in case this is why you asked, my reference to Amazonia was to ADA Amazonia soil. Often times used as the example for the active substrate category.

Oh ok. Thanks

·
Registered
766 Posts
It is not an iron def. First be aware that most plants you purchase are in submerged form and when you plant them they will melt and regrow emerged leaves which is perfect normal. I can't really tell what type of leaves the sword has from the current shape - but swords are not heavy iron feeders. The root tab is generally a good suggestion but none of my swords seem to need a lot of anything beyond good lighting. If the plants are showing healthy new growth (and it seems like the one in the corner has several new leaves that are in good shape) i would presume the older ones were the emerged form and you can at this point trim them away (btw it can take new plants up to 6+ months to shed the emerged leaves and is perfectly normal).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not an iron def. First be aware that most plants you purchase are in submerged form and when you plant them they will melt and regrow emerged leaves which is perfect normal. I can't really tell what type of leaves the sword has from the current shape - but swords are not heavy iron feeders. The root tab is generally a good suggestion but none of my swords seem to need a lot of anything beyond good lighting. If the plants are showing healthy new growth (and it seems like the one in the corner has several new leaves that are in good shape) i would presume the older ones were the emerged form and you can at this point trim them away (btw it can take new plants up to 6+ months to shed the emerged leaves and is perfectly normal).
When I brought it home, it did have an explosive growth, did well for some time. then this recently last 2 weeks started happening. had the sword for like 4 months

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.