The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked this question in a couple of fish keeper forums and the last one referred me here.

Background: 75 Gallon tank with a mix of fish from clown loaches, to weather loaches, to 6 large silver dollars, to a bunch of red eye tetras. For quite literally a couple of years we've been trying various plants, with no luck as the silver dollars devour them. A bit over a year ago we bought some flagfish and in the same tank at my LFS was a plant that I bought since I hadn't seen it before.

This plant has survived and grown or over a year. No one touches it.

Since posting pictures in various forums I've gotten: 1) Looks like: bolbitis heudelotii but in an unhealthy way to 2) Some weird weed to 3) OMG get that out of your tank Given that my fish have been coexisting happily with it for over a year, I'm not following #3, but I'm hoping someone can help me identify as I'm actually looking to get more of it because I would love to vastly increase the amount of it in my tank (assuming it doesn't turn out to be something that will kill them all).

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
At first I thought you had just dumped some Rocket Lettuce in your tank. :oops:

Then I saw the Rhizome. Cool plant, never seen it before.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's Bolbitis heudelotii. It might be one of the clones that stays smaller or has more cut fronds. I read about them being around,but I have only kept the standard form. Be happy you have it thriving with no Co2. It's still a pricey plant at the shops or online. Slow grower over all. I thought I would be growing masses of it..that changed to 'It will never be much of anything"..then it finally got going. That's near two years in the making.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts