The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get a few opinions of the plan for our new 46g bowfront. My first question is about CO2. We do have a co2 tank and a fussy regulator. I have a used DIY CO2 reactor as well. We'd rather not mess with CO2 at all if we can get away with it. So, from all the reading I've done, it looks like we need to go lower light. I was looking at the nova extreme t5 hood, but I think that will be too much light. Now I'm considering the coralife T5NO. Would that be a good compromise? For filtration, I'm thinking about an Eheim 2215 or 2217. We're just planning on keeping little community fish..nothing big. A friend may have a used Fluval 305 for us as well. Opinions on which would be the best would be great.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd stay way from T5 HO/NO if your going for low light, just get a cheap T8 fixture. I use Home Depot $20 T8 shoplights in my racks and have no problem growing low to mid level plants without pressurized C02 (species racks are sponge filters and I dose Excel).

I'd also look into a good regulator later on the Victor 320's have been rock solid, setup and forget until the run out for me and I got the last one for $55 shipped on Ebay.

- Brad

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 36 gallon bowfront and use the 30" Nova Extreme T5HO fixture. It has 2 24" bulbs that are 24 watts each. I don't do CO2 and only dose with Flourish Excel every other day. I have little to no algae and my plants really started showing decent growth for a low tech setup once I got the Nova fixture. Maybe I'm just lucky, don't know. Also, not sure how much wattage comes out of the Nova fixture that would fit your tank and if it's comparable to what comes out of the 30 inch fixture (48 watts).

Also, I use the legs that comes with the Nova fixture to raise it up a few inches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got off the phone with someone at Hello Lights and they say Coralife has discontinued the T5NO fixture. I wonder how hard replacement bulbs would be to get in the future then? Ugh...

I think I might just go with the Nova and see what happens. Dr Fosters has a great deal on those right now anyhow. Thanks for that regulator recommendation. If we up the lights, it looks like I'll need CO2 after all.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have a 46 gallon Bow and a 2x39 Watt Nova Extreme or Coralife shouldn't be to much light. I had to upgrade from a 2x39 to a 4x39 watt, but I use pressurized co2. Bear in mind the tank is about 21 " tall and newer 2x39 fixtures are on legs I believe.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you go with pressurized C02 then I'd also look at getting a full kit from a place like SuMoregulator.com's Post-Body Kit to get everything else you'll need to finish it or save up and get one of there full rigs or Greenleaves there all nice stuff.

I tend to peace meal everything just because I like to tinker so my rig probably isn't close to standard.

- Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts