The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for reading about and trying to help this newbie with a couple of issues. I have kept fish, but never have attempted to have a nicely planted tank which is my goal now. I apologize for the lengthy post too:smile:

This past weekend I bought an already planted tank which had 2 amazon swords, and a bunch of micro swords, and a variety of fish.
Tank is 55 gal
Lighting is Coralife 2X 6700k 65 watt bulbs currently on approx 8 hrs per day
2 Nutrafin co2 hang on type canisters w/ diffusers. uses sugar/yeast
5 congo tetras, 9 small tetras, 3 redtail tiger loaches, male and female albino bristlenose plecos
flouralite substrate mixed with some larger gravel

i also have a 20gal high with just the 15 watt bulb that comes with the tank and i transplanted quite a few of the micro swords into this tank. Lights are on 7 hours per day and 2 black skirt tetras in this tank and 100% new flourite substrate.

There were several snails in the tank and i have removed approximately 30 and see just a few here and there now. The plecos were seen on the amazons frequently unitl i started feeding cucumbers and algea disks.

I do not have any test kits, but they plants did not look healthy so i dosed each tank with Flourish iron on Sunday hoping that was the issue.

In the 55 gal tank, the micros have very solid root system and are doing ok, but the leaves are kind of curling on the outside edges like a spiral type effect. I cut some of the dead leaves off the Amazons on sunday and they looked decent, but now they are somewhat translucent in several spots and it looks like the snails got ahold of them in a couple of spots.
Where should I start?

In the 20 gal high tank, the micros looked great until i got home tonight and about 1/4 of them are turning brown and look to be rotting.
Any ideas here?

Please let me know if i need to give more details as i am very new to the plants and have ordered some java fern, corkscrew vals, and banana plants to arrive either this week or next by mail.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
741 Posts
the snails aren't hurting the plants. In fact they don't hurt anything. If their numbers get out of hand you'll know you're feeding the tank too much.

I suspect the plants are suffering from the change in water chemistry. (was the tank's original home in a different part of town?. . . I'm thinking different tap water) tho it is possible that the disturbance to the roots is enough to put them into a funk.

I'd be willing to bet if you just do weekly water changes the plants will recover, given time.

looks good so far. post pics when you get the new plants. we'll look forward to the update :)

cheers-K

·
Registered
53 Posts
same happened to me when I first got those micros -they rot/die; waited for a couple of weeks and it bounce back to life. they're adjusting to your water condition I think. give it time to bounce back.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!
The Flag Cichlids the guy gave me are a mated pair. Do you think the 20 gal is large enough to breed them? I want to put them in there and a few more plants to give the fry something to hide in and eat from.

Love this web site and look forward to getting into the planted tank thing and am glad to hear you guys think the plants will bounce back. I think I will get some of the nutrients I have been reading about but don't want to spend a lot of $$$ just want to get a nice planted tank going and see if i can get them to thrive with a few cool fish.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the snails aren't hurting the plants. In fact they don't hurt anything. If their numbers get out of hand you'll know you're feeding the tank too much.

I suspect the plants are suffering from the change in water chemistry. (was the tank's original home in a different part of town?. . . I'm thinking different tap water) tho it is possible that the disturbance to the roots is enough to put them into a funk.

I'd be willing to bet if you just do weekly water changes the plants will recover, given time.

looks good so far. post pics when you get the new plants. we'll look forward to the update :)

cheers-K

The tank came from a different city so definitely different water conditions. The guy i got it from had about 15 tanks. One was a custom built 450 gal. pretty cool.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
At least partly your Amazon swords are eaten by the plecos, therefore the transparent parts. Part of them are caused by the move, too.

Your micro swords are none such. ;) They are some Cryptocoryne sp., possibly C. wendtii (I'm poor at the crypt IDs). The curling is normal. In the other tank, what you describe sounds a lot like the crypt rot... that attacks them when the water changes too much. They will bounce back from the rhizome. Just prune the dying/ siphon off the rotten leaf mass.

And welcome to the forum! Hope you'll enjoy it here. :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
update

Appears the melting has stopped for the most part and the plants are doing ok. I made some changes and will maybe start a journal so I can learn about what I am doing.

Added some 4 leaf clover, val italian, red ludwigia, 3 banana plants and relocated one of the amazon swords to another tank.

Also added the mated pair of festivum cichlids they are pulling up the 4 leaf clover and eating it. Probably need some type of floating plant. and some hardscape and removed the plecos because they were defenitely eating the swords.

Currently 2 flag cichlids, 5 congo tetras, 3 red tail tiger loaches, and 9 glow light tetras.

Questions:
What other algea eater do you all suggest as a replacement for the plecos?
Ideas for a floating type plant to help encourage breeding?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Algae-eaters: Siamese Algae eater is one of the best though it will get rather big for your tank. Otos (Otocinclus sp.) are great too. Nerite snails are very good as well but would most likely be eaten by your loaches.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It's come a long way! Looking good!

What about some of the taller crypts in the background (C. retrospiralis, C. balanse...)?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's come a long way! Looking good!

What about some of the taller crypts in the background (C. retrospiralis, C. balanse...)?

I like them both. I have been watching the swap page here and when I find a deal, i think i may. I also will look for some faster growing stem plants to help fill in the tank for now.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am quickly finding out how expensive and addicting this hobby can be. :icon_mrgr

My son has the bug now and has purchased(with dad's help) a 20gal long to tackle his first planted aquarium. He has some of the baby amazons i separated from my mother plant, some c. wendtii, italian val, pennywort, and some java moss and riccia to start. Only 2 clip on type lamps for now cause I am on a budget. We will post pics when we can. It looks really nice with the black ecocomplete substrate.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone. This is a blast!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts