The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Centrepiece fish, my lovely Crowntail Fighter has just passed away this morning :icon_sad: and i was looking for some help in choosing a new addition for my tank.

I have 125litre tank with an ecco pro 300 filtering it. Stocking is 4cory, 1 BN Pleco, 3Green Fire Tetra, 6 Galaxy Rasbora.

I am wondering what kind of non-aggresive centrepiece fish (Mid to Top Swimmer) you can suggest?

If nothing tickles my fancy i'll get another betta probs, but i'm looking for inspiration!:red_mouth:red_mouth

thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were it me, I would up the number's of the tetra's and rasbora's to at least six each.
Might leave room for one Honey gourami assuming weekly wtaer change.
i have 6 rasboras and i can't find the green fire tetras anywhere!

Anyway they shoal with the rasbora and are very happy little fish.

i don't like gourami's, never have.

anyhting else?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
i have 6 rasboras and i can't find the green fire tetras anywhere!

Anyway they shoal with the rasbora and are very happy little fish.

i don't like gourami's, never have.

anyhting else?
OOP'S, missed the six rasbora's.
Well, if tank is at least three feet long, with secure top,maybe Hi Fin Lyretail Sword (one).
See.. Liveaquaria.com
They need swimming room is why I mention the length.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about a single angelfish, they do fine as singles in my experience. or what about a group (like 5) of a small dwarf cichlid??
See i like the look of apistogramma cacatioudes or something but i think they will terrorise my corys because they tend to like the bottom/middle of a tank?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OOP'S, missed the six rasbora's.
Well, if tank is at least three feet long, with secure top,maybe Hi Fin Lyretail Sword (one).
See.. Liveaquaria.com
They need swimming room is why I mention the length.
i am 2.5ft and 18inches high.

I'll have a look, i always read up anyway so it wouldnt be bought in a hurry.:icon_neut

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yea mid to upper, one solitary angel is my suggestion
i had two angels previous to my fighter and had to trade them at my lfs because they got to big:( loved angelfish too!

Yeah, upper to mid, really fussy, my usual lfs has the same boring everyday fish all the time but if i can get something suggested on here i can get him to special order it!:icon_cool

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
The mid to upper will not be met but I like a really small reall peaceful rainbow cichlid (herotilapia multispinosa). Contrary to the constant drone about cichlids being trouble, this is one which does no harm. I have kept them with numerous other smaller fish like guppies. I have not found any fish they attack or bother normally. If you have a pair and they breed, they will insist that the other fish stay out of the nest site. But they do not chase to the other end or that sort of thing. Sometimes hard to find but a great little fish with great personality.
A current discussion of these little fish?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=600042

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm a killie guy so that's what I suggest. They are different and many inhabit the top portion of the tank. As long as you don't have or don't plan on getting shrimp. Don't believe some of the things you hear about killies, in my experience they are awesome community fish and I have never had problems with them eating prepared foods, even the fry.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Boesemani rainbow fish are pretty, they are small enough that you could get a pair if you like.
I would avoid them personally. You should have at least 6 per tank and they are very lively swimmers. I would not keep them in a tank unless it was 4 ft long. I had 4 in a 65 gallon and I think it was too small for them. Very cool fish but not for your setup.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I disagree, i have a pair of turquoise rainbows in a 46 gallon and they do swimmingly. Although mine are a male/female pair they get a long great with everyone else and you would never think i need more than two.

OP i think maybe a trio of any of the rainbow fish would be a great selection.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Rainbows are schooling fish and large bodied schooling fish at that. You might get away with a pair but they are much more happy in larger groups. Just speaking from experience. Also rainbows are very prone to columnaris if they are in too small a tank it will increase their chances of getting this due to them slamming into the glass. I had to euthanize mine (first time I ever did this in 15+ years in the hobby) because they got columnaris and I could not for the life of me get rid of it. Just saying.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
In most of these discussions of what to add, I feel it is kind of like discussing which girl to marry. There are lots of decisions where we can't be much help as we all like different things. Just thank god that it doesn't have to last forever>>>>>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.