The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so in two to three weeks I get my fall financial aid and I've set aside some for a new tank. Basically my "entertainment fund" ;).

So, I decided to setup a tank for CRS. I already have a tank for RCS and my 40 community, which is an ongoing project.

I've decided on a 13.3 Gallon Mr. Aqua Bowfront, but that is where the decisions have stopped at the moment and where I need help.

Filters - Considering an Eheim Ecco or Classic - I think a Pro II series would be to big for this tank. Would like opnions. I like the idea of the Ecco because of ease of use. Or if there is a better option. I am using a Zoomed 501 on my 10 gallon and I've read that amano uses the 601 that Shrimplab sells.

Lighting - I am in debate between an Odyssea fixture and maybe an LED?

Substrate - from what I have seen in pictures the CRS seem to look better on a black or dark substrate, but again I'm unsure what would be best here.

and finally, should I add Paintball Co2????

Remember, I'm on a budget here. :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmmm, no noe seems to have any opinions to share. :-/

·
Registered
194 Posts
How densely planted will that tank be? I'd only add co2 if you're trying to grow some serious plants. I have paintball co2 on my tank w/shrimp but another more experienced member told me that co2 and shrimp (esp. expensive shrimp) don't always mix well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How densely planted will that tank be? I'd only add co2 if you're trying to grow some serious plants. I have paintball co2 on my tank w/shrimp but another more experienced member told me that co2 and shrimp (esp. expensive shrimp) don't always mix well.
Well, I hadn't really decided on Fauna yet. I know I can still densley plant without using any highlight/co2 requiring plants. I.E. lots of anubius, moss, etc...

I know for the hardscape I was thinking about driftwood and some of the iwagumi rocks...........

The only fauna I'm thinking of is the CRS, although I have considered endlers as they stay nice and small.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also, I'm using an ecco on my tank and it works great. I picked up the biggest one (don't remember the model) from craigslist and it works like a charm despite being ridiculously overpowered for a tank the size of mine.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I'm using an ecco on my tank and it works great. I picked up the biggest one (don't remember the model) from craigslist and it works like a charm despite being ridiculously overpowered for a tank the size of mine.
Does it through your plants all over the tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts