The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pretty new 10g planted tank. it now has some strange fuzz like algae growing on the glass. very short and not in clumps but evenly dispersed throughout the tank. color is white/clear. and it's kinda flowy and moves with the flow of water. is there a site with an algae ID section with a bunch of pictures of different kinds of algae?

just for kicks...

it's a low light 10g tank (borrowed hood light, looking for a permanent solution)
eco-complete
basically brand new water (due to changing from gravel to eco-complete)
pH is high... roughly 7.8
amm & nitrite at 0
nitrate at 5
3 ghost shrimp
2 danios
1 black molly
1 bala shark

bunch of moneywort
sword plant (that is gonna be HUGE and get moved into a different tank at some point)
microsword grass
and a few aponongeton bulbs waiting to sprout

no co2

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
New tank? Could be some fungi/molds. If so, it will go away on its own.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree with Betowess (though I'm not sure if it's a fungus/mold). I had a bit of the same problem when I switched my substrate and with a little patience + scraping + water changes, it went away.

A little off topic but you need to return the bala shark. They get way too big for a 10g and prefer to school anyways.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Betowess (though I'm not sure if it's a fungus/mold). I had a bit of the same problem when I switched my substrate and with a little patience + scraping + water changes, it went away.

A little off topic but you need to return the bala shark. They get way too big for a 10g and prefer to school anyways.
i know they get large... he'll be going in a 50 gallon whenever he gets any bigger

i'll try some water changes and the like and see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts