The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pulled out a couple hitch hiking snails this week and hoped that since they were small no eggs were laid but this evening I noticed one of my overflow chamber walls was covered with a gelatinous substance with little dots mixed in. I assumed they were snail egg sacks so I drained the overflow and manually removed all of the gelatinous substance and am crossing my fingers that I don't end up with an outbreak of snails.

If I do end up with 10,000 snails, what are my options? Assassin snails sound interesting but will they bother my nerites?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Assassin Snails will definitely get your Nerites. One of the best things to kill pond snails or bladder snails are dwarf puffers, and they don't get big enough to harm your Nerites. Beware though; once the snails are all gone, they will probably attack your fishes. Another good option are botia loaches.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
As long as you're feeding a reasonable amount, you probably won't wind up with 10,000 snails. They can't really get out of hand without a ready supply of food. If they've laid eggs in the tank you're probably not going to get them out any time soon. Keep yanking out any you see and removing egg sacks. You can also just smash the babies (and adults for that matter) on the glass with your finger. You might get them before they get you. :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
As long as you're feeding a reasonable amount, you probably won't wind up with 10,000 snails. They can't really get out of hand without a ready supply of food. If they've laid eggs in the tank you're probably not going to get them out any time soon. Keep yanking out any you see and removing egg sacks. You can also just smash the babies (and adults for that matter) on the glass with your finger. You might get them before they get you. :)
Smashing nuisance snails are one of life's little pleasures. :icon_evil

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Smashing nuisance snails are one of life's little pleasures. :icon_evil
If you have any shrimp in your tank this is a great idea! They will immediately eat the crushed snail. The snail's shell also provides them with calcium (maybe haha).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.