The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
3 days ago we have 2 bettas in a divided tank. We did a water change and we add two products to the tank (5.5 gallons) we add one ball of Aqueon Pure Live beneficial bacteria and enzymes and we add seachem purigen to the filter. The very next day I woke up really early and I find both bettas lying down like both was dead.
We take them out both and put them on our hospital tank. But after one hour one betta die :( the other one is really weak and we don’t know what to do. He is swimming and eating but, he lying down in the bottom of the tank or he swimming to the top of the tank and slowly falling down to the bottom. We went to our local aquarium and they recomen us to use “betta revive” medicine. We did add it to but now we see him even worse.

Something I need to tell you guys is that the betta who die was biting the aqueon ball for some reason and ended destroying it in the middle of the night.

Do any one has an idea what we can do to help him?

Please, let me know.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Try to keep it a comfortable as possible, keep your water parameters pristine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates) and as close to the hardness if the tank it was in before (ph, gh, dhk). If you have the ability to use a sponge filter instead of a filter that creates flow, or put a piece of your sponge over the intake and output of your filter to keep the water a still a possible. If possible keep some floating plants that it can rest on/ in and do small water changes each day. I don't know about those betta balls I've heard a couple people say they've killed their betta, but I've never used them. I don't honestly know what happened to your betta, but my advice is based on how I handled more delicate betta when they were having trouble acclimating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Try to keep it a comfortable as possible, keep your water parameters pristine (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates) and as close to the hardness if the tank it was in before (ph, gh, dhk). If you have the ability to use a sponge filter instead of a filter that creates flow, or put a piece of your sponge over the intake and output of your filter to keep the water a still a possible. If possible keep some floating plants that it can rest on/ in and do small water changes each day. I don't know about those betta balls I've heard a couple people say they've killed their betta, but I've never used them. I don't honestly know what happened to your betta, but my advice is based on how I handled more delicate betta when they were having trouble acclimating.
We are going to do that.

Here is the tank:

He like to be like after the problem:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. The only thing you can do is try to keep him comfortable. He definitely isn't doing well. You could try dropper feeding him something soaked with something like seachem nourish, but I don't know if he would take it, some of the vitamins would be taken in though. I hope he gets better. You're doing all you can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so sorry you're going through this. The only thing you can do is try to keep him comfortable. He definitely isn't doing well. You could try dropper feeding him something soaked with something like seachem nourish, but I don't know if he would take it, some of the vitamins would be taken in though. I hope he gets better. You're doing all you can.
Do you think we need to keep going with the betta revive medicine?

I have good vitamins for him as well.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I wouldn't use any medicine at this point. If he was poisoned by the betta ball he probably just needs really clean water, stable paraneters and easy access to the surface so he can breathe. If he's going to pull through he will pull through. Adding things is more likely to stress him out, imo

I would use the vitamins, though

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have to ask why you added the 'live bacteria' and purigen to your tank. Generally once a tank is cycled - it is best to not add anything to the tank unless there is a specific problem you are solving.
-
Other than that as plinkploop said - just keep the fish in very clean warm water (around 80). Make sure the water has no ammonia and nitrite. Depending on level those can be quite poisonous to the fishes.
-
If you don't know if your tank is cycled or not sure then indicate such.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to ask why you added the 'live bacteria' and purigen to your tank. Generally once a tank is cycled - it is best to not add anything to the tank unless there is a specific problem you are solving.
-
Other than that as plinkploop said - just keep the fish in very clean warm water (around 80). Make sure the water has no ammonia and nitrite. Depending on level those can be quite poisonous to the fishes.
-
If you don't know if your tank is cycled or not sure then indicate such.
The tank was really new. About 3-4weeks. Our previous tank broke for an accident.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In the future i would recommend not using live bacteria or purigen (which may very well had been absorbing the additive); without measuring ammonia/nitrite it is hard to tell if the betta is suffering from poisoning due to the live bacteria or non-cycled tank. if that sponge filter was in the previous tank it is likely the tank is cycled - if there is concern about ammonia or nitrite a few drops of sachem prime will help neutralize it. Anyway good luck and hopefully the fish will recover.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the future i would recommend not using live bacteria or purigen (which may very well had been absorbing the additive); without measuring ammonia/nitrite it is hard to tell if the betta is suffering from poisoning due to the live bacteria or non-cycled tank. if that sponge filter was in the previous tank it is likely the tank is cycled - if there is concern about ammonia or nitrite a few drops of sachem prime will help neutralize it. Anyway good luck and hopefully the fish will recover.
Thank you for the replay.

By the way I’m using Fritz complete and not Prime. Both suppose do the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question about Catappa indian almond leaves.
My wife purchase a few of those leaves. I checked online and say that they are good for shrimp and betta fish.
What do you guys think about that for my betta fish?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I use leaves in a lot of my tanks and the fish love them. If you're not looking for the black water look I'd suggest boiling them first, that's the only side note I have on that one. I use oak leaves because I can't locally sourced catappa leaves, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.