The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added prezzurized co2 to my planted tank and even though the plants are growing much better, I have got this new kind of algae that is getting out of control. It is a fuzzy green algae, and it grows like long fur coming off the tops of the plants. It flows really easy in the current, and can be pulled off pretty easily.

Here is a picture of it:

Any advice on how to get rid of it? Flourish excel had no effect at all.

It is a 29 gallon tank, with a finnex fugeray 2 led light. Pressurized co2 has been running for a couple weeks now.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It has been said that breaking up the length of the light into two sections with an hr or so off in the middle helps to stop algae. But IMO that light is serious overkill for that tank unless very heavilly planted. Raising it would help and using a piece of screen between the light and tank would also, in this case a double piece.
But the first thing you would want to try is to cut the hrs to about 6.5 per day and perhaps a break in the middle/w that. If the 6.5 hrs works you can increase it after more plant growth happens.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not seeing the picture right now...

I have a planted plus planned for my 29g, so I am interested in what your tank looks like.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It has been said that breaking up the length of the light into two sections with an hr or so off in the middle helps to stop algae. But IMO that light is serious overkill for that tank unless very heavilly planted. Raising it would help and using a piece of screen between the light and tank would also, in this case a double piece.
But the first thing you would want to try is to cut the hrs to about 6.5 per day and perhaps a break in the middle/w that. If the 6.5 hrs works you can increase it after more plant growth happens.
A Fugeray isn't all that bright, so I don't think light intensity is an issue. As you already alluded to, it's probably the length of the photo period.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It seems that by adding the CO2 and the tank is no longer CO2 limited, you may have brought up new areas where you are? Are you adding any kind of ferts? I can't see the pic and don't know what size it is, but if it is a 29g or below a Ray 2 can put out a pretty good light level. Nothing too much, but you may need to be dosing ferts if you weren't previously.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just had a hair/thread algae problem. It was bad. I used darkcobras 1 two punch method. I have to say it worked like a charm. Not only did it kill my hair algae but some bba I got from some plants I bought. Once you do this then you need to get on a regular fert cycle. Adjust your c02 and continue your weekly w/c. Its a pain but trust me it works. I have a 10g I am getting ready to treat. I hope this helps you. Try searching the one two punch method and read up on it. Just dont give up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts