The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

You know, I have no idea if it would work or not, AND I'm quite interested! LED is totally new technology to the world of planted tanks, and if you run some forum searches for other threads about LED lighting there is quite a bit of discussion back and forth about whether or not the LEDs currently on the market will support plant growth or not... and so far, most of this is just discussion/theory, no one that I know of has really put it to the test!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
That LED panel is 12" x 12", so a 65 gallon tank, assuming it is the 36 inch long tank, would need 3 of those. That would consume about 40 watts of electric power. I think this might work very well. But, until someone tries it, maybe measures the PAR it gives at the substrate (24 inch deep tank, right?) and sees if it will grow plants well, we can only guess about it. My bet is that it will work well.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Hoppy,

Don't you think that due to the arrangement of the bulbs, the light from one might spread well past 12"?

No way to know for sure I suppose without using a PAR meter...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I set it up and noticed that I'm going to have to buy a 2nd one. I will post pics tonight. My tank is 65 gallon 30" wide, 30" tall, and 12" deep.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The 30 inch height of the tank might be a problem, but other than that 2 of those 12inch squares should work. Laura Lee, I do think the light from 2 will spread out enough to cover the 30 inch length, but I don't think it would cover 36 inches. There is so little data easily available for LED lights that there has to be a lot of guesswork in figuring how much you need.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can't really tell how much light you have from a photo, but that looks like a lot of light! Two of them would easily give uniform light for that tank. I sure wish you could borrow a PAR meter to measure the light down at the substrate - it looks like high light.

If you make a simple box-like hood to hold the LED panels, you could stop the glare from shining in people's faces. Just make the box deep enough for the sides to shade the glare.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Just from the photos, looks like you've got an actinic MH fixture up there... lol

Did the package tell you what kelvin the bulbs are? I'm just being curious still, since the light looks so blue...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You can't really tell how much light you have from a photo, but that looks like a lot of light! Two of them would easily give uniform light for that tank. I sure wish you could borrow a PAR meter to measure the light down at the substrate - it looks like high light.

If you make a simple box-like hood to hold the LED panels, you could stop the glare from shining in people's faces. Just make the box deep enough for the sides to shade the glare.
Leaning a sheet of cardboard or something on the fixture would work, then the camera would automatically adjust to a more realistic light level.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts