The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4-foot 47 gallon tank. I originally had a 56 watt coralife fixture (T5NO). I decided that that wasn't enough light, so I bought a second fixture of the same thing. I just got that one today. Well, I put it on my tank and....it's really not that much brighter. I'm disappointed! The lighting I have on there now comes out to 2.4 wpg.

My goal: Grow anything I want (assume CO2 and ferts).

Is my goal feasible with the lighting I have?

I was just on the Catalina site, and I'm contemplating returning the coralife fixture and getting a solar T5 fixture from Catalina. If I do go with that option, should I go with the 2 bulb fixture or the 3 bulb? It will not be suspended from the ceiling.

To recap, here are my two very important questions:

1. Is my coralife 2.4wpg enough to grow any plants I want (i.e. is this high light)?

2. If I get a catalina T5HO fixture, should I get the 2-bulb or the 3-bulb fixture?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think that 2 of the T5NO fixtures should grow anything except perhaps the MOST light-hungry plants.

I run just one over my own low tech 46gal and it really brings out reds when plants get near the surface.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I've just done a very impulsive thing....

I just bought a 3-bulb fixture from Catalina. I'm terrible! I know it may be too much light, but they don't need to all be on. I can maybe run all three for a "boost" during the day. Also, If I ever get a 75 gallon, the 2-bulb fixture won't be enough. So...i'll consider this an investment :redface:

I did take your advice on the bulbs though. I got one each of the 6500, 10000, and plant grow. I hate it when the lights make my tank look yellow, so I hope this will be nice :)

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tank is only 18.5" deep. I have all my dry ferts, and I'm going to do DIY CO2 until I get pressurized (should be in January). I won't use all 3 bulbs until then. Even then, I won't use them all day, because i don't want algae issues. I'm new to all of this, so I don't want more than I can handle!

Off topic, but for DIY CO2, can I get the yeast from the grocery store, or does it need to be a better kind?

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I did the DIY CO2, I used champagne yeast which I got from a local brewmaster store. I read that it lasts longer and is more stable than regular yeast.

A word of caution about DIY CO2, though. Make sure you secure your bottles very well so they can't turn over. I learned this the hard way. My wife's cats knocked mine over one day and when I got home half the fish and all of the shrimp were dead from yeast mixture poisoning.

Another note, don't expect much from the DIY CO2. I ran two bottles for a 37g tank and I could never get the drop checker to turn from blue to green. The best I could do was a little aqua color. I had a pretty good diffusing method, too, that works awesome with pressurized.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no! Thanks for the warning...I have two cats! I'll tape the bottle to the inside of the stand.

Wow, surprising about your DIY experience. I hope that DIY and excel will keep my new high light plants alive until January....

I found that I can order champagne yeast off of amazon with low shipping costs, so that's taken care of. Thanks :)

I appreciate your advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.