The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of putting together my 90 gallon (48L 18W 24H) dirted tank. I am currently in the process of absorbing all the info out there on lighting. I am definitely going with leds and was hoping to get input on what I am planning to get.

I came across the Satellite Freshwater LED+. I love the effects this has to offer (especially the moonlighting for night time viewing along with some other crazy things) I know this is a little gimmicky, but lets be honest, showing off your tank is a big part of this.

I also believe that one of these (48 in) may not be enough, so I was planning on supplementing it with a 4 ft 8000k white 35w aquarium led i found online. It states that one of these will add 30 mms (par) down to 24 inches.

Im under the impression that I should be going for about 50 mms. This is a dirted tank and I dont plan on using any sort of CO2. What do you guys think?

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I assume that if your not doing co2 your going to get a bunch of low light plants. I agree the finnex planted plus is what you should look at. The finnex has the moonlights on it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The ray 2 looks stronger than the planted plus from what I read, and if not using co2 u might want to go lower than 50 par at that depth. It all depends, u can have a stronger light and raise it if u wanted. Just get some more feedback and dive as deep as u can on the balance aspects.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The ray 2 looks stronger than the planted plus from what I read, and if not using co2 u might want to go lower than 50 par at that depth. It all depends, u can have a stronger light and raise it if u wanted. Just get some more feedback and dive as deep as u can on the balance aspects.
Ray II is stronger for sure. It might be better to get the brighter light n raise it or put screen over it like u said. That way it can be changed up if needed. Lighting is the most confusing thing when setting up an aquarium in my opinion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I looked into the finnex planted plus. it appears that the braces on this thing are a bit larger. This is concerning because I have a canopy. Either of you use this with a canopy? does it get in the way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts