The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an active member, since I have a well established tank that I'm very happy with (mostly from the information of this forum). Can someone take a moment to help me? 馃檪 I'm not looking for sophisticated information.

I have a 72' long, 18 inch deep - 120g. Low maintenance, no CO2. Annibus, java, some moss and swords. Two big goldfish. My plants grow well and all is good with the tank. The tank doesn't have a cover.

Last friday my wonderful light from Build Your LED stopped working. After 8 years, I can say it was worth every penny I spent on it. Went back on the web to order another one, only to find Build Your LED .... is gone or at least half in existence. What a bummer.

So I started researching. I can't figure out what LED would be good. The reviews are half hearted - dismal. Work for a year then crap out or plants don't grow well or remotes break.

I've looked at the most common ones - fluval, current USA, etc. I did see Dustin's fishtank lights. Not sure what to make of him and his lights. He doesnt provide much information about PAR and how well plants would grow.

Hanging lights are not possible.

Thanks for taking a moment to respond.

Registered
I'm not an active member, since I have a well established tank that I'm very happy with (mostly from the information of this forum). Can someone take a moment to help me? 馃檪 I'm not looking for sophisticated information.

I have a 72' long, 18 inch deep - 120g. Low maintenance, no CO2. Annibus, java, some moss and swords. Two big goldfish. My plants grow well and all is good with the tank. The tank doesn't have a cover.

Last friday my wonderful light from Build Your LED stopped working. After 8 years, I can say it was worth every penny I spent on it. Went back on the web to order another one, only to find Build Your LED .... is gone or at least half in existence. What a bummer.

So I started researching. I can't figure out what LED would be good. The reviews are half hearted - dismal. Work for a year then crap out or plants don't grow well or remotes break.

I've looked at the most common ones - fluval, current USA, etc. I did see Dustin's fishtank lights. Not sure what to make of him and his lights. He doesnt provide much information about PAR and how well plants would grow.

Well first off I wouldn't just chuck the BMLed . Most likely a driver failure. Not the worst thing to replace for most people.
Even if the diodes have dimmed somewhat your plants are used to it by now.
Besides the cost is like $40-ish dollars.

Don't go w/ Dustins.. generally overpriced.

Now the BIG issue is length.
Was the BML 72"? Or did you have 2?
More info please inc. the power off the power supply you are using (output specs and model number.)

Since BML used mostly Inventronics drivers it is a bit difficult getting a 1:1 replacement but .. we shall see.

Only 72" LEDs that I know of are Beamsworks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFF07EC/ref=twister_B01LFF08QO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Keep in mind they have a tendency to bow a bit w/ this length or did...
no remotes just a power supply.

Not sure of the flavor you have of the BML but the Beamswors run "cooler" in look than most freshwater BML's will.

Registered

@Sajacobs - you're in good hands with @jeffkrol recommending LED lights or fixing the BMLs you have now. As has been mentioned, it's more than likely a simply fix.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much Jeffkrol

Here鈥檚 some pics of the BML light. It鈥檚 72 inch long.

I鈥檓 a bit embarrassed that I have the wild kingdom tank on the forum. 馃お. It鈥檚 like I鈥檓 the house in the beautiful neighborhood who doesn鈥檛 mow or weed wack. 馃懟

I think this is the driver?

If I could fix it that would be great. It serves my basic needs.

I checked out Beamswork. Looks like a good solution as well. I could have a piece of glass made as a center strut and do two lights.

Thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciate.

Registered
This looks like a knockoff of a Meanwell HLG-120-54B. I'd call this the power supply rather than the driver, though. What are the two wires on the top connedted to?

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts