The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,
I've got what I think is BBA and perhaps some other kind of algae. Please take a look at my pics and help me ID. I just planted the Oriental sword yesterday and it already has "whiskers" on all the leaves!!!
Tank specs:
20 gal long
no Co2
2x24W T5 HO for 10 hrs/day
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 ppm
I rarely dose with any ferts

Suggestions for treatment are of course welcome but I think I can just google methods after I get a proper ID.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had that before-and I am not sure if it is bba or staghorn or what it is called. What I do know is that it usually responds favorable to excel. Pull off what strands you can and treat with excel. As it dies, it usually turns an orange or red color, which is the indicator I have always used that the battle is being won. I believe I have read that it is caused by low carbon, which looks to be the case with your tank.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
+1 to NYRecruiter's ID.

I too have seen this particular algae, and have alternately seen it called BBA or Staghorn; but there is no question that either Excel or hydrogen peroxide will kill it, turning it red before it disintegrates over a period of days. Either may also kill some leaves on your anacharis, they'll turn transparent and dissolve; though the plant should survive and regrow.

But you have high light, which requires CO2 and regular, comprehensive fertilization. You'll need to cut light by half, or add CO2 and ferts. DIY CO2 is feasible on your size tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ya'll!

I've cut the light in half until I can install a CO2 system. I do need to be better about dosing ferts on some sort of schedule.

Thanks for the replies! I'll post my progress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update- in case anyone cares- I have kept 1/2 the light cut and started regularly dosing with excel. This has completely eliminated the issue! It took about a month for it to completely clear up.
Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.