The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
So I've got some questions about my hygros. I've got three stems that came in the emersed form and have lost their leaves and began to grow new roots and leaves. They've been in my tank for 7 weeks now. What's wierd is the new leaves seem to only be growing from the tips of the stems, do I need to cut the old ("emersed") stem from the new ("submerged") stem? Or will it grow leaves at each of its nodules? Also the leaves have some holes, do they look like a nutrient deficiency or a critter eating them? I mildly dose NPK and trace, medium-low light, pressurized co2. I also have root tabs underneath them. Here's a link to photos that I posted through the same question on another forum. :) http://www.myaquariumclub.com/hygrophila-corymbosa-questions-822080.html

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey there, when I had Hygro Corymbosa, mine wouldn't grow leaves on the lower stem if they fell/rotted off.What I would do is I would pull them up, snip off a bit of the bare stem from the bottom (including roots) and replant them so the leaves were lower. In my experience they put new roots out relatively fast and didn't suffer any shock from doing so.

Occasionally mine would send off-shoots from the bare stems, however. I'd either let them grow out and transplant them once large enough, or just snip them off if I didn't want that bushy look.

Maybe there is something you can do to have them grow leaves on that bare bottom portion? I don't know though, haha...

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
Hey there, when I had Hygro Corymbosa, mine wouldn't grow leaves on the lower stem if they fell/rotted off.What I would do is I would pull them up, snip off a bit of the bare stem from the bottom (including roots) and replant them so the leaves were lower. In my experience they put new roots out relatively fast and didn't suffer any shock from doing so.

Occasionally mine would send off-shoots from the bare stems, however. I'd either let them grow out and transplant them once large enough, or just snip them off if I didn't want that bushy look.

Maybe there is something you can do to have them grow leaves on that bare bottom portion? I don't know though, haha...
This is my experience as well. Once the leaves fall off the stem, they don't grow back. If the plant is too tall and you cut the top off, then new leaves and eventually stem will crow out of the cut point. Many times, if the cut point is low enough the new growth will be 2 stems with leaves giving a bushier appearance.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

My experience as well, both submersed AND emersed. I have also noticed that when snipped growing emersed, they tend to be much more likely to put out 2 stems

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!
So once the plants get some more leaves, I should cut the tops below the leaves and replant them, then cut low to the lower sets of leaves?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the same plants, I have holes in my leaves as well. I dose Seachem Potassium once a week and the plants have Osmocote plus root tabs underneath them. Maybe I need to dose more potassium but it's hard to believe there's a deficiency between the Seachem and tabs I use.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have the same plants, I have holes in my leaves as well. I dose Seachem Potassium once a week and the plants have Osmocote plus root tabs underneath them. Maybe I need to dose more potassium but it's hard to believe there's a deficiency between the Seachem and tabs I use.
Its shocking how much potassium those plants use

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello all! Just an update. I've started adding more K and will soon cut the stems. I really wanted to wait and get some good leaf growth before cutting them. There are still holey leaves but there are also a lot of new healthy ones. Don't think I mentioned this but I would like to achieve the bushier look. Thanks all for the replies and help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.