The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Juwel Primo nano tank with 2 led "tubes" in the plastic lid of the aquarium with the original Juwel internal filter aimed at the surface to agitate and provide oxygen for fish and bacteria and a second internal filter (Fluval U2) also aimed at surface because it seems to create the least turbulence in the water for my small fish otherwise struggling to swim through the current.

The problem is that the led tubes together with the agitation of the surface creates a very annoying flickering/strobing light that makes it uncomfortable to just sit and enjoy the tank without getting headache or start thinking about epileptic seizures, i believe it is called disco effect in the reef community.

Are there any good ideas to get rid of this without having a completely still surface?
Will diffusion or frosted film work? Maybe it will decrease the effect of the already weak lightning?

All help is appreciated!

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I have a Juwel Primo nano tank with 2 led "tubes" in the plastic lid of the aquarium with the original Juwel internal filter aimed at the surface to agitate and provide oxygen for fish and bacteria and a second internal filter (Fluval U2) also aimed at surface because it seems to create the least turbulence in the water for my small fish otherwise struggling to swim through the current.

The problem is that the led tubes together with the agitation of the surface creates a very annoying flickering/strobing light that makes it uncomfortable to just sit and enjoy the tank without getting headache or start thinking about epileptic seizures, i believe it is called disco effect in the reef community.

Are there any good ideas to get rid of this without having a completely still surface?
Will diffusion or frosted film work? Maybe it will decrease the effect of the already weak lightning?

All help is appreciated!
"Disco" is color spots.. Think what you are referring to is caustic lines or shimmer.

You could have both really.

Decrease in surface agitation and/or diffusers should help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts