The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get a bit of hair algae not sure what to do to stop it.thinking it's my lights.
2 finnex 24/7
40b
Pressurized co2
Pps pro
With exell
I do run my lights on the 24/7 mode.my plants melted really bad at first but they are doing great now but starting to get some algae now

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is this a new tank? Turn up the Co2 a bit and wait it out. Remove as much algae as you can daily. I'm going through the same thing in one of my tanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The tank has been set for about 6 month's. C02 keeps my drop checker light green about mid day.I mix firtz to the gla chart and I dose 5 ml a day of micros and macros

I use exell because I have it no real reason.I try to change the water every week sometimes every 10 days.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The tank has been set for about 6 month's. C02 keeps my drop checker light green about mid day.I mix firtz to the gla chart and I dose 5 ml a day of micros and macros
If you mean pfertz than I am sorry I cannot help. It is not PPS.

If you want to try PPS-Pro, than you can get the proper ingredients from these suppliers and elsewhere. These chemicals are needed:
K2SO4
KNO3
KH2PO4
MgSO4
Plant-Prod Chelated or Plantex CSM+B

Thank you
Edward

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would load a small squirt bottle with Hydrogenperoxide and squirt it directly on the algae - don't get carried away but don't be afraid to give it a couple of good squirts. Hydrogenperoxide is indeed poisonous to most fish, but not in the quickly diluted aquarium and it's totally inert in about 24 hours. If you have a whole lot of algae, spray about 6-12 inches long by about 3-6 inches wide every 24 hours until it's all gone. Hydrogenperoxide will also kill plants, but again, not in these small amounts even if the algae is on the plant. The plant will survive and the algae won't. Hydrogenperoxide over the counter is a 3% solution usually. That's what I'm talking about. Do NOT use anything stronger and you'll do fine. It's cheap, fast, easy and can be repeated. I do not know of any fish that will have problems with this approach and bottom dwellers are my passion and they are usually the first ones impacted by things like this. I have not tested it on shrimp or other non-fish animals.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yes it is pps pro from gla
Little spelling misunderstanding …

Back to your aquarium, how large is it and how many CO2 bubbles do you supply?

Because you have large discus and Angel fish producing huge amount of waste, your plants need help. You will need to do water changes based on two factors. One is based on TDS conductivity readings and the other on NO3 levels. Whichever comes first in terms of set limits, you do a water change to balance it out. This procedure will create consistent ecosystem for healthy fish and plants. Are you ready?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tank is a 40 gallon breeder.bubble rate is about 3 to 5 bps.I am going to be moving my fish to a 130 gallon just waiting for it to mature for a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The CO2 bubble rate of 3 to 5 bps is just right. For the fertilizer, I would dose 2 ml per 10 gallon, 8 ml of solution #1 macros daily to your aquarium. The solution #2 micros, I would dose 8 drops a day.

To keep the water column clean, you need to get a TDS conductivity reader. It is a $5 eBay tester that displays a value that represents the difference between tap water and aquarium water column in terms of total dissolved solids. Your target is your tap water plus 200µS. For example, if your tap is 300µS then 300 + 200 = 500. So, if you test more than 500µS you need a water change.

Then there is only one test kit needed and it is temporarily because of the discus. It is the NO3 kit. When your NO3 reading goes over 30ppm then a water change is needed. I recommend finding the proper colour of 30ppm by testing a test sample. This 30ppm test sample you can make by adding 15 drops of solution #1 macros into 1L of tap water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts