The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the Hagen System setup and running now for two weeks. No issues with it generating Co2 the bubbles are coming out fine but the ladder has begun to develop what looks like a white stringy fungus on the ladder. Anyone have a clue what that is from> Is it possible the water from my tank is being sucked into the pressurized bottle abd causing the yeast mixture to leak into the tank?

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
The white stuff is fungus or bacteria, fed by the sugar/yeast containing CO2 bubbles. It's completely harmless.

You can prevent or reduce that growth if you use a second, water filled bottle as a bubble counter.

You should use a check valve which prevents aquarium water going back into your bottle, or siphoning out when you recharge the bottle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I should add a check valve and a bubble counter prior to the ladder do they need to be in the tank or outside of it?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
With yeast mixes, this is normal. What most folks to to prevent that is make a DIY bubble counter. I have even heard of people putting a little bit of bleach in the DIY counter. I am not sure of the amount... The bubble counter acts like a trap, collecting the white slim instead of it getting to your tank.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
So I should add a check valve and a bubble counter prior to the ladder do they need to be in the tank or outside of it?
I'd add a check valve (they should cost a buck or two at your favorite pet store) to prevent the siphoning. Make sure to allow the CO2 to pass through it. In other words, don't connect it backwards.

Doesn't really matter where you place the check valve. Perhaps close to the rim of your tank?

The bubble counter bottle isn't really necessary, it's just helpful to reduce the white snot. On the downside, you are adding more connections that might leak at some point.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I'm going to pick up a these items up at Big Al's tonight. A check valve and a bubble counter. Which gets attached to the tubing first? Also is this bubble counter going to work on this system? Red Sea CO2 Bubble Counter
And on a side note what is a Co2 reactor for?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I made a bubble counter/yest trap with a 1 liter soda bottle, there are two hoses, one is from the DIY co2 bottle that goes all the way to the bottom of the bottle so I can count bubbles and another line at the top that goes to the diffuser, in your case a ladder. The bottle it's self is filled about half way with conditioned water. This whole thing is easy to make and even easier to clean if you have some kind of quick disconnect, though not needed but makes life just that much easier.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
I made a bubble counter/yest trap with a 1 liter soda bottle, there are two hoses, one is from the DIY co2 bottle that goes all the way to the bottom of the bottle so I can count bubbles and another line at the top that goes to the diffuser, in your case a ladder. The bottle it's self is filled about half way with conditioned water. This whole thing is easy to make and even easier to clean if you have some kind of quick disconnect, though not needed but makes life just that much easier.
Keep in mind though when you use a half-filled liter bottle, it will take a considerable time to replace all that air volume with CO2. After setting up, it might take 2 or 3 days until you get 100% CO2. So a smaller bottle, or filling it up almost full, might be advantageous.

I found this item would it replace the check valve, diffuser and bubble counter?
Red Sea CO2 Reactor 200
Yes it does, but it is pretty expensive, and might introduce back-pressure which can lead to CO2 leaks in your bottle connections. I am not familiar with this piece, and somewhere it states that the substrate has to be changed in regular intervals. Not sure if this is the case, and if so, if it would be better to get something without the need for constant maintenance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so my best bet is to get a bubble counter and a check valve and keep the ladder diffuser I currently have there would be no major issues with that correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts