The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to to planted tanks and this forum so please forgive me if I am asking in the wrong place.

About a week ago I got some giant duckweed and I did a 15 second bleach dip on the plants, dechlorinated them, then added them to the tank. Throughout the week I noticed that the plants were turning brown and white. Do you have any suggestions on how I can reverse this? I have a nicrew light that is shining right on them and the nitrates in the tank are above 10ppm. I also dose the tank with seachem flourish (not excel). My water is 25dgh and 8.2ph.

I got some hornwort a few weeks ago and also did a bleach dip with them. It seemed to survive the dip, but when I added it to my tanks some of it completely shed and the rest of it is looks like its slowly dying. The tops of some of the hornwort have new growth. Should I just snip off the parts of the hornwort that have shedded or is there a chance that the stem will regrow their needles?

My anacharis was also bleach dipped and throughout the week it started dying. I cut off the dead parts and floated it with the duckweed. Do you have any advice on how I can prevent it from dying?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hello I am new to to planted tanks and this forum so please forgive me if I am asking in the wrong place.

About a week ago I got some giant duckweed and I did a 15 second bleach dip on the plants, dechlorinated them, then added them to the tank. Throughout the week I noticed that the plants were turning brown and white. Do you have any suggestions on how I can reverse this? I have a nicrew light that is shining right on them and the nitrates in the tank are above 10ppm. I also dose the tank with seachem flourish (not excel). My water is 25dgh and 8.2ph.

I got some hornwort a few weeks ago and also did a bleach dip with them. It seemed to survive the dip, but when I added it to my tanks some of it completely shed and the rest of it is looks like its slowly dying. The tops of some of the hornwort have new growth. Should I just snip off the parts of the hornwort that have shedded or is there a chance that the stem will regrow their needles?

My anacharis was also bleach dipped and throughout the week it started dying. I cut off the dead parts and floated it with the duckweed. Do you have any advice on how I can prevent it from dying?
Hornwort unfortunately is infamous for doing exactly as you described. Wait for the new tops to be a few inches long, then cut them off and replant them. Discard the stems.

Anacharis will also die back before coming back (typically new nodes off of the stem). I would resist cutting away any part of it since the new growth will likely happen in new places then just the old tips.

What concentration was the bleach?

Are there fish in this tank?

I will say that 25 gh is really high so that could certainly cause you trouble with many plant species.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
The solution I made was about 1:20. Maybe too much because the bleach I used is I think slightly more concentrated than usual. Are there better ways or is it always necessary to disinfect plants?
The tank is currently overstocked with african cichlids. I'm trying to get some plants in there to help lower nitrates.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
The solution I made was about 1:20. Maybe too much because the bleach I used is I think slightly more concentrated than usual. Are there better ways or is it always necessary to disinfect plants?
The tank is currently overstocked with african cichlids. I'm trying to get some plants in there to help lower nitrates.
The only reason to dip in bleach is if you want to kill snails. You can quarantine plants as well to see if there are snail issues or anything else in the plants. I don't bother with bleach dips because I always stock my tanks with snails anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts