The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Rotala Hra in my 16 gallon tank. It is growing very well but there is no red, except for some pink on the bottom of the leaves. Any advice on how to make it red?

I have a finnex planted + 24/7 alc 16” light. I dose thrive + a couple times a week and iron a couple time a week. I also have a baking soda/Citriacid co2 setup.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Very high light, long photo periods and and lean on nitrate <6ppm worked for me. Once they go red and need a trim keep the red ones and replant...over and over

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had pretty good luck after reading this post by Dennis and team over at the 2hr aquarist on this exact matter. There's some good posts by others in the forum as well, but I can't exactly remember what I search for. Will post again if it comes to mind.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had pretty good luck after reading this post by Dennis and team over at the 2hr aquarist on this exact matter. There's some good posts by others in the forum as well, but I can't exactly remember what I search for. Will post again if it comes to mind.
I found the 2hr also very helpful too, great site

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rotala in my experience is a tricky Plant to get vibrant red colors from... Lots of iron and very high light is needed to get a nice red. If you notice the top few leafs are the only leafs turning red then your lighting is not bright enough or not enough Nutrition. It can take up too a few months to get color out of rotala. I would recommend root Tabs as rotala gets most of its nutrients from the roots.

I recommend using Tropica Premium Furtilizer! And Tropica Nutrition capsules.
1. Lighting
2. Root Tabs and Furtilizer
3. Iron
4. Temperature
5. CO2

Do you know the CO2 level? I couldn't tell the color of the PH checker. Also what's your CO2 schedule?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts