The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Imgur album of fish Fish - Album on Imgur

I'm unsure if they are flying foxes, true SAE, or false SAE.

Background, I got these 2 guys under the impression they were Siamese Flying Foxes. They were fine while they were alone but once I added them to my main tank I started having random deaths. One morning a dead Otto, the next morning a couple dead Neon Tetras and a tank of stressed fish. I watched for hours and saw one of my new fish being aggressive. I tried scooping him out but he ran into the other fish and I mixed them up so I had to scoop out both of them.

I didn't have anywhere to put them so they ended up in my sump. To make the sump more fitted for fish I gave them a couple of driftwood caves, plastic plants, and floating duckweed. There's also about 12 RCS that made it from the main tank, the fish ignore the RCS. Now that I've added the caves I think I know which one is the aggressive one (it's keeping the other fish away from BOTH caves and making it stay by the sponges). They're only close together when they're scared of me popping up in front of the tank.

I really want to ID these fish so I can rehome them (and give the new owner the correct information). I'm also contemplating putting the smaller one that hasn't shown any aggression back in the main tank to get it away from the aggressive one, I would watch the fish like a hawk for a couple of hours and check early in the morning for any stressed fish.

EDIT: I forgot to say I added some hair algae to the sump (to see if the fish would eat it) and it was gone the next morning, I'm sure the RCS didn't eat it so it must've been the fish. So far I only read that true SAEs eat hair algae does this help me narrow this down or do all the suspects eat hair algae?

Main tank:
29 gallon (last pic in imgur album, I've cleaned the spot algae off the front since taking that pic)
6 Neon Tetras
3 Endlers (and 2 Endler fry)
3 Ottos
7 Rasbora (4 Lambchop and 3 Harlequins)
20+ RCS
2 Nerite snails

Sump:
20 gallon (filled to 15)
12+ RCS
2 Mystery fish
2 Assassin Snails (I usually remove the RCS and put them back to the main tank once a week and add all the snails I see in my main tank to the sump for the Assassin Snails).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Imgur album of fish Fish - Album on Imgur

I'm unsure if they are flying foxes, true SAE, or false SAE.

Background, I got these 2 guys under the impression they were Siamese Flying Foxes. They were fine while they were alone but once I added them to my main tank I started having random deaths. One morning a dead Otto, the next morning a couple dead Neon Tetras and a tank of stressed fish. I watched for hours and saw one of my new fish being aggressive. I tried scooping him out but he ran into the other fish and I mixed them up so I had to scoop out both of them.

I didn't have anywhere to put them so they ended up in my sump. To make the sump more fitted for fish I gave them a couple of driftwood caves, plastic plants, and floating duckweed. There's also about 12 RCS that made it from the main tank, the fish ignore the RCS. Now that I've added the caves I think I know which one is the aggressive one (it's keeping the other fish away from BOTH caves and making it stay by the sponges). They're only close together when they're scared of me popping up in front of the tank.

I really want to ID these fish so I can rehome them (and give the new owner the correct information). I'm also contemplating putting the smaller one that hasn't shown any aggression back in the main tank to get it away from the aggressive one, I would watch the fish like a hawk for a couple of hours and check early in the morning for any stressed fish.

EDIT: I forgot to say I added some hair algae to the sump (to see if the fish would eat it) and it was gone the next morning, I'm sure the RCS didn't eat it so it must've been the fish. So far I only read that true SAEs eat hair algae does this help me narrow this down or do all the suspects eat hair algae?

Main tank:
29 gallon (last pic in imgur album, I've cleaned the spot algae off the front since taking that pic)
6 Neon Tetras
3 Endlers (and 2 Endler fry)
3 Ottos
7 Rasbora (4 Lambchop and 3 Harlequins)
20+ RCS
2 Nerite snails

Sump:
20 gallon (filled to 15)
12+ RCS
2 Mystery fish
2 Assassin Snails (I usually remove the RCS and put them back to the main tank once a week and add all the snails I see in my main tank to the sump for the Assassin Snails).
I'd say you have Flying Fox or false SAE. I've never had them, but the true SAEs I had in years past were never in any way aggressive. Siamese algae eaters from my experience are very good in community tanks (large tanks, they can get big).

ETA: Have you read this:

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a fish noob but I would say they are true saes
Thanks for the input. I think you may be right, still a chance they are Flying Foxes in my book but I think I can knock out false SAE because I was able to get some better pictures and can say without a doubt the black line continues through the tail and from what I read the black line stops at the tail on false SAE.

I'd say you have Flying Fox or false SAE. I've never had them, but the true SAEs I had in years past were never in any way aggressive. Siamese algae eaters from my experience are very good in community tanks (large tanks, they can get big).

ETA: Have you read this:

Algae Eating Cyprinids

Yes I looked at that website a few times. I don't think its false SAE I'll post better pics to show what I mean but the black band goes all the way through the tail. I took the smaller one that wasn't showing any aggression and put it back in the planted tank, it colored up nicely and looks a lot more like a SAE or Flying Fox to me. That pic should show the way it was resting on the driftwood in my tank and you can see the black bank through its tail. That blur in front of it is a male endler trying to catch up to the females on the other side of the tank.
(more pics)
http://i.imgur.com/mzpoM9k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZzKgR3L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qyqPG8z.jpg

And pics of the other fish (much fatter than this one and aggressive). But looks like it also has the stripe in its tail,
Big SAE? - Album on Imgur

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the input. I think you may be right, still a chance they are Flying Foxes in my book but I think I can knock out false SAE because I was able to get some better pictures and can say without a doubt the black line continues through the tail and from what I read the black line stops at the tail on false SAE.

Yes I looked at that website a few times. I don't think its false SAE I'll post better pics to show what I mean but the black band goes all the way through the tail. I took the smaller one that wasn't showing any aggression and put it back in the planted tank, it colored up nicely and looks a lot more like a SAE or Flying Fox to me. That pic should show the way it was resting on the driftwood in my tank and you can see the black bank through its tail. That blur in front of it is a male endler trying to catch up to the females on the other side of the tank.
(more pics)
http://i.imgur.com/mzpoM9k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZzKgR3L.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qyqPG8z.jpg

And pics of the other fish (much fatter than this one and aggressive). But looks like it also has the stripe in its tail,
Big SAE? - Album on Imgur
I once saw SAEs mixed in a tank with Flying foxes at a fish store & they were all being sold as Flying foxes, I wonder if that's what happened here? The bottom picture of the one on the wood looks closest to an SAE to me, but it's a hard to tell. I believe the stripe in the tail would be fairly dark (darker than the ones in your other pictures).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I once saw SAEs mixed in a tank with Flying foxes at a fish store & they were all being sold as Flying foxes, I wonder if that's what happened here? The bottom picture of the one on the wood looks closest to an SAE to me, but it's a hard to tell. I believe the stripe in the tail would be fairly dark (darker than the ones in your other pictures).

Yes the stripe was pretty faint in the closeup pictures and when it was on the wood it was in the planted tank for less than 5 minutes. I just checked on it again and the stripe is a lot darker than it was (along its body and tail) I'll try and get a better pic tomorrow when the lights are on. Its being pretty peaceful for now, and even the one in the sump seems happier (a little more color now that it's alone), but I still would like to find it a home nicer than my sump.

The one I put in my main tank also seems to be more copper on top and silver underneath. The fins are still transparent and its starting to look like the SAE on this sitehttp://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTksSubWebIndex/saesags.htm

I guess this is what I get for getting 2 "Siamese Flying Foxes". Remember guys research, research, research and when you're done research some more. I'll try and update tomorrow and see if it colored up anymore. I'm just happy I figured out who the aggressive one was and now the calm one can enjoy the planted tank.

EDIT: I wasn't able to get a better pic today. They were in the back hanging out with the ottos so all you would see is plants and a little bit of her head. I watched for a while and don't see any signs of stressed fish. Her tail did not darken up too much but I can see that a stripe is going through the middle of it (not as dark as pictures of flying foxes that I saw so I'm still leaning towards SAE (true or false).
The one I left in the sump is still a lot lighter than its non-aggressive compatriot but looks better now that it is alone. Off to work then I'll try again.

EDIT x2: Now that I've tried to get a better pic for the last couple of hours (got a good video but I have to figure out how to turn it into a gif and post it later). Then I watched a Youtube video of a guy that had flying foxes and true SAE and I'm going with true SAE. They sit the same on the bottom of the tank, the markings are almost identical to his, and I saw it eat some hair algae. The one in the sump even looks happier swimming around instead of guarding his cave and exploring the tank. I'm still hoping to rehome him but I'll have to do a local ad since I've never shipped a fish before and don't want any accidents.

Thanks for all of the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks true

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Stripe through tail....

Thanks I'm starting to think they both are true and I feel better being able to tell someone that it will be a 6 inch fish (not 2-3 like I was told). Oh I really hope I'm allowed to get that 55 gallon tank I've had my eyes on for a while now. Then I won't have to get rid of either one, I can plant both tanks up and put a SAE in each. Even though I don't think my 29gal is big enough for the 1 I have now.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Stripe all the way to the end of the tail and a black smudge on their belly. Needs a larger tank long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
They don't grow SUPER fast, but they do like to be in groups(though some sources say otherwise).

Yes I read they like groups as well, the one I put in my planted tank does seem to hang out with the Ottos at night, during the day it's hanging out in the shaded part of the tank by itself so it looks lonely. I left the aggressive one in my sump for now and the peaceful one is in the planted tank. When I can get a bigger tank I will get him some buddies until then he'll have to hang out with the Ottos.

I wanted to get a rubber lipped pleco but I think I'll just get 2 or 3 more Ottos since the SAE doesn't seem to mind them and I'm not sure how it would feel about the pleco.

Stripe all the way to the end of the tail and a black smudge on their belly. Needs a larger tank long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I read about 55gal is recommended and I'm trying to get one but I currently don't have the room. I already have a 100gal but I can't put him in there or he will be eaten. I'm going to talk to my friend that works at a pet shop to see if he can find someone that wants a true SAE that also has a 55gal or bigger aquarium. I do have a friend with a Koi pond that said he would take it but I'm not sure if that will be a good fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts