The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to add a spray bar along the top of the back wall to my tank. To power this i'm thinking about purchasing an External pump which will be housed in the cabinet under the tank. Probably a 500+ gph for my 125g aquarium.

Trouble is i'm quite new to this and have a few questions.

1) Should I use flexible tubing to connect to the IN and OUT of the actual pump?

2) Will these tubes then connect to PVC joints and pipes in the tank? Output being the spray bar design and Input being the water intake?

3) Once connected will the pump need to be primed? Or should it just start sucking water and sending it straight out?

4) If the pump doesn't have a speed adjuster is there something I can build in to speed up / slow down the outflow? A valve of some sort? If so, where would it go?

5) Once connected and working what is the easiest way to stop the pump for maintenance? Do I need to build anything in to the design to help disconnect it without water going everywhere?

I'm sure I have more questions but these should help get me started.

Thanks

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Diana,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Sadly a sump design is not possible at this time.

So essentially would I be looking to do the following:

I could keep the flexible tubes short (close to the pump) and then install the ball valves just above. I would also place the intake and spray bar as close to the water surface as possible.

I understand your point about turning off the pump, then closing the ball valves. I'm guessing this would trap the water in the flexible tubes and this would likely leak once disconnected.

Thanks for the tip on the 45 degree angles. I'll see if there is space for this.

I do not understand this:
If the power goes out the water can run backwards through the pump. Fill the box and overflow.
Are you talking about the sump design or this design? I can't see how this design could fail if the power fails. Wouldn't it just equalise and stop flowing?

I see you mentioned a check valve but i'm not exactly sure where this should go. Just before the spray bar?

To control the flow would I have to slightly open both check valves or just the output one?

Thanks again.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

My tank is a Juwel Rio 400 (125 gallon) with internal filter and pump (capacity is about 275 gallons an hour).

I'm just trying to improve the tank flow and thought that an external pump could add an extra 500 to 650 gallons per hour.

This would give me around 800 to 900 gallons per hour total.

If I went canister filter what would the maximum output be? Obviously in time I would remove the internal filter and then lose the 275 gallons per hour that currently gives me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.