The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I have had a small glass emersed tank running for a while, the plants grow like weeds inside even HC. The substrate is who knows what, I found it in an old pot full of dead plants.

I build a bigger tank from a storage tub and my old LED aquarium light(12X1w leds) I put some nice organic potting mix, a deep layer or osmocote, more potting mix and a shallow layer of osmocote then a potting mix top. The walls are lined with ally foil for more light.

The old is 32C at the dirt and new is 30.8C at the dirt.

I keep trying to transfer plants over to the new big setup but most of them wilt and die very quickly and the ones that don't look sick. I believe this may be caused by low humidity but am unsure, how would I raise humidity in this setup?

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
The totes sometimes do not seal at the rim. You can add duct tape around the lip to try to keep humidity in. Buy a cheap meter in the reptile part of the petstore to find out for sure if that's the issue though.

Most melt I've had was either humidity drop or temp fluctuations.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ive grown in a cookie jar no airflow covered with saran wrap. You need occasional gas exchange, i open all my setups daily and mist with tank water. My big setup keeps 80%+ humidity at all times. Look at my signature link

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
saran wrap and large misting, then you can pretty much forget it. air flow is not important, its like green house effect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, I got hold of a hydrometer. I beefed up the lip of the container with several layers of fiberglass reinforced tape to create a better seal and put a huge chunk of wood on the lid to ensure contact with the seal.

The humidity is now around 70-75% which is the same as the small tank. Today I threw a bunch of sensitive plants in to test it.

I am unable to mist as an option as I am going away for 2 months and my wife is reluctantly doing the minimum maintenance to keep my emersed, my high tech community tank, and aquaponic system running. I need everything to be as easy and quick as possible for her.

Should I run the lights at night when the temp drops in order to keep humidity more stable? The set up is outside in shade and we get 30C by day and 20C by night.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
For vacay, I suggest raising water level at least .5 inch over substrate. Keep sealed. By time u get back water should be evaporated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For vacay, I suggest raising water level at least .5 inch over substrate. Keep sealed. By time u get back water should be evaporated.

I'm not sure if i agree with this statement. If the container is closesly sealed and he has a humidity of 75%, there's only so much more that the air can contain so I doubt the half inch of water will be evaporated and you'll come back from your holiday having a messy, slimey layer of algae on your container substrate.

In my emersed setups i've had the best result topping off the dirt with some hydroballs and letting the water reach till right under there

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'm not sure if i agree with this statement. If the container is closesly sealed and he has a humidity of 75%, there's only so much more that the air can contain so I doubt the half inch of water will be evaporated and you'll come back from your holiday having a messy, slimey layer of algae on your container substrate.

In my emersed setups i've had the best result topping off the dirt with some hydroballs and letting the water reach till right under there
That all depends on how much light he/she is using. I have my emmersed setup in indirect sunlight and water will evaporate or disappear overtime. The slimy layer of algae is possible, but that depends o n lighting and plants and density and so on.

Here are pictures:
as you see where its least planted is where that green slime algae is
all on left side, center and right side are clean

left side closeup

center closeup

I apologize to OP if i am now hijacking

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no need to apologise, it's good to see other methods.Most plants are growing very well in the container now. The humidity has settled at 78% now that I placed a huge wooden post on the lid to ensure full contact with the tape seal. I also checked in the morning and the humidity levels are only dropping to 74% overnight now it sealed well. With a bit of luck I should have a jungle when I get back.

I am considering turning the little tank into a dry start Iwagami before I go, then by the time I get back I'll have a nano Iwagami shimp tank ready for filling and livestock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts