The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I can grow inclinata, inclinata Pantanal, and senegalensis without too much trouble. But glandulosa and the repens-like species only seem happy near the surface, and only when I increase the lighting to 6wpg which is overkill. Otherwise they go green with small leaves and are prone to stem-rot. Actually inclinata Tornado responds the same way, and arcuata is not far off.

Tank is 6x18x18, riversand with root tabs, pressurised CO2 cut by Barr-needle wheel impeller to over 60ppm throughout tank according to dKH 3, 7 & 11 drop checkers, plenty of circular flow, capacity for up to 6wpg T5HO consisting of 50/50 Sylvania aquastar and gro-lux tubes currently 9 months old, EI dosing with a bit of extra iron, Ca and Mg. ph ~6, GH 3-7, KH 0-2, temperature 25-28C depending on ambient temperature, internal pump keeps it above 24C.

To me this seems like a case of insufficient light, even though 4 wpg seems like it should be more than enough. Anyone have some ideas please?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Hmmm. Looks like what you're providing is MORE than enough for Ludwigia repens, arcuata, etc. to grow.
I've heard sometimes that going too high tech can stunt a plant's growth.
I have repens in my 1.5 wpg no CO2 10 gallon tank with only root tabs, and it grows despite no reds.
My 20 gallon with flourish comp and iron gives me nice red leaves on my repens, ammania gracillis, and arcuata with excel 3 times a week...maybe you need to decrease lighting even more?
What is the height of your tank?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, but when I bring the stems up manually close to the surface and increase the lights to 6wpg, they turn orange and red within a few days and stop rotting, while the stems I left at the bottom (unshaded) only improve slightly... Which tells me that even 6wpg wasn't enough? And yet that's when I see some algae issues arise as well. What's happening? Wrong spectrum? 1 bulb is white light in the 10000K range with peaks in blue and red, the other has no analysis available but is visibly very pink, both advertising "made to grow plants".

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think some pictures would be helpful to tell what is going on.

I've gotten pretty good color (though not Tom Barr like) out of Ludwigias in the past with 1.6 wpg of T5HO + co2. If I were you, I would reduce the lighting a lot. Getting enough co2 at 4 or 6 wpg has got to be hard even if it really is 60ppm. You shouldn't need that much to make L. Repens red.

Or maybe it's really a different kind a Ludwigia?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.