The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I inherited a 10 gal tank from a family member and wanted to take a stab at planted tanks. I planted hair grass on 11/11 and since then it has experienced decent growth. I notice runners underneath the soil and new vertical growth. However, there are clumps of DHG that have yellowed or remained stagnant. Can anyone offer any insight on what maybe going on?

I am using light and co2 for 8 hours, but have dialed it back to 6 due to recent brown diatoms.
I use Controsoil, UNS all in one (twice a week)
Temp is 75 F
Almost finished cycling with ammonia. NH3 and NO2 levels have gone to 0 ppm the day after. Nitrates are around 20 ppm.
pH is on the lower side 6.4. Might be due to soil, cycling, and CO2

I also attached some pictures for reference.

thanks in advance!!
Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Aquatic plant

Plant Botany Grass Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

Plant Houseplant Grass Terrestrial plant Fines herbes

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
You are still early with the planting only recently. Some die-off should be expected. DHG does best under high light, but will be ok under medium light.

It benefits from regular trimming, particularly in the early phases. If untrimmed, it grows toward the light. Trimming encourages spreading.

Another key is to plant it in 3-5 strands, not clumps (yours appears to be in clumps), and plant in a gridlike pattern. Insert each group of strands deep into the substrate (roughly 1/3 of the plant should be in the substrate). After a few days, give it a good trim to stimulate horizontal growth. A carpet will take a few months to develop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts