The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodafternoon everyone, hope you all are doing good. So I just got into a high tech aquarium around a month ago and I've been using the easy green and easy iron fertilizer from co op as my fertilizer. I am almost going to run out and going to need to buy a new one soon. I was looking around youtube and saw these "dry ferts". I started doing research and I found out that they would be a whole lot budget friendly. I went to gla website and was planning to get the PPS-PRO AQUARIUM FERTILIZER PACKAGE (JARS). My research has concluded that these ferts should last me a long time ( I have a 55 gallon heavily planted tank). I didnt see iron included in the package. I saw all these other types of dry ferts that it makes me super confused on what I need and what I dont need. Can someone help guide me on what I would need for my aquarium. If u guys need to know specific details about my aquarium so u guys know what to recommend me, I wouldnt mind. Thank you for all the help in advance!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Iron is a Micronutrient, one of the jars is called CSM+B, that is the Micronutrient jar which contains 7% Iron besides other Micronutrients. The rest of jars are N for nitrate, P for phosphate and K for potassium and one more jar with Magnesium. This really should be all you need, now you need to learn how to use it, how much to dose. This is going to be trial and error learning curve for you because you need to learn your tank needs.
Using a dose calculator will help a lot. I use "Planted Aqua" application on Android for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got some plants that I really want to be red such as my ludwigia pantanal. Do you the iron in the Csm+b will be enough to get the bring out the red, or will I need to buy the separate FE to raise the iron concentration. Or am I going to have to do trials as you said and see what the results are. (My tech has med to high light, heavily planted, med to high co2)

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I do know and use that source but it is always good to look around a bit and compare total when shopping.
what you need will often be a bit different on tanks as it depends on what is going on in the tank. Lots of fish can make the need for some ferts like nitrate or phosphate low or totally unneeded. There will also be a big difference in what plants, how many, and what water. some plants slurp nitrate, others less. How much if any extra iron may depend on how much calcium you have as too much may make it hard for plants to take in the iron even if it is in the tank!
so does all this make it hard to use dry ferts? Not any more than if you use a simple mix and want to truly get the best performance in your plants. It does make it possible to increase the one item you want to try and then you can decide if it helped or did nothing.
Unless you know that you have too much nitrate, phosphate, etc. , I suggest getting the big three macros, NPK and the micros in CSM+Band possibly a bag of iron, just as a starter that covers almost all cases. MG is better bought in local store Epsom salt! You will likely find you can buy all these and it will last you years for the same price as a couple bottles of pre mix, so I favor stocking all the likely needs on one shipping charge, even if I find I don't need one as the fert itself is not very expensive. The water you get in pre mixed is pretty dang expensive compared to tap water!
My souce and suggested to check:
https://www.nilocg.com/product-cate...oducts/dry-fertilizers-for-planted-aquariums/
I just use kitchen spoons or pinch, dab, etc. as it is all very much an estimate and the amount is not something I find critical but I do want a consistent amount so I know what changes I make if any. I find it works for me to just dip a cup of tank water, mix it well and pour it in! The dry is mch easier to store than if I mix and sweat the PPM, etc. Since I can't actually what amount of tank water is in each tank, I do not look at PPM as being nearly as important as how green the plants look!
But this is the calculator which works for me:
https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php
AND then?
If things are not right ( and they are rarely perfect) one of these can help spot what changes you might like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aqu...hUE04MKHWesDrsQ9QEIZzAH#imgrc=Vn4aQwqnj0DI2M:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.