The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I happened to luck my way into a 30 gal hex aquarium with all of the fixings except for the stand.

In designing a stand to fit the hex aquarium do I need to take into account the odd shape of the aquarium? Will the stand need a leg or support under each of the corners? Or given the many designs that have been posted will I really only need to change the dimensions to make it work?

What I was thinking of doing was a base in a similar style to Hydrophyte's raw industrial style supporting a large round wood table top that the aquarium would go on. Will this work?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you want an open stand, like Hydrophyte makes, you could just make a 6 leg table with hex top and lower shelf. This wouldn't be as simple as a rectangular table, but still not that hard to do.

An alternative would be to make a 6 sided tube from 3/4 plywood, the height you want the stand to be. Then add a hex top to it. If you want access to the inside for storage, make one side of the "tube" be a band at the top and bottom, with the middle being a door.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.