The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I am looking to set up a Yeast CO2 reactor in the next week or so. I have seen so many different setups and recipes. I know the setup I am going to do. So here are my questions.

1. Can I use an airstone as a diffuser?

2. Can I just run an airpump at night to counteract the CO2 if I don't turn off the CO2?

3. What is the best recipe for this endeavor?

Any and all help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
16,998 Posts
A typical airstone won't cut it. I'd order a diffuser from the dreaded eBay or find one from The Shrimp Lab or another sponsor of the forum. They're super-cheap.

You can definitely run an air pump or just increase surface agitation.

The recipe really depends on what you need to accomplish. I typically use (in a 2litre bottle) 2cups sugar and 1tsp champagne yeast. Usually lasts 5-6 weeks until it starts to slow down. But I've had that mix last as long as 7-8 weeks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Airstones tend to block up with DIY and also the bubbles are too big and just float straight to the surface and off gas.

Its not necessary to 'counter act' co2 at night. Many people, even those with high pressurized co2 levels, have it running 24/7. Some people swear its a must though.

I always struggled to get enough diy co2 without having to replace every 3-5 days which is a PITA (could of been my recipe or type of yeast?), an investment into a pressurized system is worth its weight on gold.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A typical airstone won't cut it. I'd order a diffuser from the dreaded eBay or find one from The Shrimp Lab or another sponsor of the forum. They're super-cheap.

You can definitely run an air pump or just increase surface agitation.

The recipe really depends on what you need to accomplish. I typically use (in a 2litre bottle) 2cups sugar and 1tsp champagne yeast. Usually lasts 5-6 weeks until it starts to slow down. But I've had that mix last as long as 7-8 weeks.
That is what I was looking for. I can get a diffuser and all that through my LFS, but I was wondering if I could go cheaper than that. Thanks man.

Airstones tend to block up with DIY and also the bubbles are too big and just float straight to the surface and off gas.

Its not necessary to 'counter act' co2 at night. Many people, even those with high pressurized co2 levels, have it running 24/7. Some people swear its a must though.

I always struggled to get enough diy co2 without having to replace every 3-5 days which is a PITA (could of been my recipe or type of yeast?), an investment into a pressurized system is worth its weight on gold.
That is going to be an investment down the road a little bit. I am going to set up the DIY so I can save for it. Not to mention, I am going to be doing it on 3 tanks. So, I will need at least 2 systems as I can have 2 of the small tanks on one bottle.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
A lot of people use chopsticks as well. Stick the end of one into the end of the piece of tubing that the CO2 is coming out of and cut it off. Lots of tiny bubbles. Balsa wood works as well. Neither will give you a really really fine mist, but both work better than airstones.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both. Or use Google/your preferred search engine to find a good deal.

Personally, I'd recommend using Shrimp Lab when they have the nano diffusers back in stock because Nikki is an active forum participant and supporter.
Got ya. I am gonna check there again in a few days.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Here is what I did

Reactor / Mixture

Diffuser

One package of Rapid Release Yeast
Cup of sugar
Tablespoon of backing soda

Hot water to mixture - add sugar, stir until disolved ADD yeast and SHAKE.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A lot of people use chopsticks as well. Stick the end of one into the end of the piece of tubing that the CO2 is coming out of and cut it off. Lots of tiny bubbles. Balsa wood works as well. Neither will give you a really really fine mist, but both work better than airstones.
Oh, brilliant! It works! Thank you!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is what I did

One package of Rapid Release Yeast
Cup of sugar
Tablespoon of backing soda

Hot water to mixture - add sugar, stir until disolved ADD yeast and SHAKE.
How long does that usually last you?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
How long does that usually last you?
5-8 days ... more than likely on the 7th day I would change 1 (of 2) of the units. While the other unit is going strong.

Is that a Hawaiian Punch container? Haha. Nice one.
YEAP 1 gallon along with a Vit Water reactor. You can use SuperGlue Gel for the connection. Aquarium Sealant just didnt work very well for me.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my DIY CO2 going about a week ago. I used 2 cups sugar, and one packet yeast. It lasted about 6 days. Here is the setup.

I stuck the end of the tube in the filter intake and it is working great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.