The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Discus freak
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on guys, I've recently did a major water change, cleaned out canister filters, pads, etc..

I use pool filter sand for substrate, every time I move stuff around this "dirt" like things start kicking up and stick to my plants, filters, walls everything! It's really ugly and It's taking away the beauty of some of my plants because of that..

Any of you experience anything like it? and how do you get rid of it...

ps. I do remove some with my hand, like shake the plant around but it just comes back the next day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it like a slime? In my smallest tank, after I do major water changes or rearrangements of the plants I often see this thick muck build up on the plants and gravel afterward. I don't actually know what causes it, but I always assumed it was a complex of proteins/detritus/pond snail slime that sticks together after being disturbed from the surfaces in the tank. If you have the same thing, I'd say it's nothing to worry about and as long as your filter is running well it should go away in a few days. I've found that sucking it up with a turkey baster or just brushing it off of the areas where it is sticking tends to clear it up more quickly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.