The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my tank cycled now? Two days ago I added ammonia up to 4.0 ppm, and today it is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates. Should I add ammonia again or do a water change or is it done?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When did you set the tank up and start cycling? Did you add any type of bottled bacteria product or transfer media, a cycled filter or substrate to this tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did you set the tank up and start cycling? Did you add any type of bottled bacteria product or transfer media, a cycled filter or substrate to this tank?
I set up the tank about 4 months ago but only started cycling 2 days ago. I have plants and I had a few fish when I first set up the tank but they all died because I didn’t know about cycling, so the tank has just been running all these months until I added the ammonia.

·
Registered
19 Posts
was it set up with water 4 months ago and you only started adding additives (ex: ammonia) to the water 2 days ago, if yes than it should be cycled?

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
Your tank will be considered 'cycled' when it can fully process an amount of ammonia (4PPM is fine) in 24 hours or less with no nitrite present.

If it were me, I'd do this for about a week to make sure there's no nitrite spike. Then continue dosing the tank with ammonia each day - try not to exceed a total of 4ppm in the tank - until you're ready to add livestock. That'll keep bacteria alive and ready to function. Do a 100% water change before critters get added.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[/QUOTE]
Your tank will be considered 'cycled' when it can fully process an amount of ammonia (4PPM is fine) in 24 hours or less with no nitrite present.

If it were me, I'd do this for about a week to make sure there's no nitrite spike. Then continue dosing the tank with ammonia each day - try not to exceed a total of 4ppm in the tank - until you're ready to add livestock. That'll keep bacteria alive and ready to function. Do a 100% water change before critters get added.
Okay thank you, why a 100% water change? Wouldn’t that remove the bacteria that was there?

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
Okay thank you, why a 100% water change? Wouldn’t that remove the bacteria that was there?
Bacteria live on surfaces - like filter media, not in your tank's water. So please definitely do a lot of reading here on the forum. Use the search function. Here's a great explanation of the fishless cycle.

You'll need to do a full water change in order to make sure your tank isn't loaded down with any errant ammonia and so it's not overloaded with nitrates.

·
Registered
92 Posts
was it set up with water 4 months ago and you only started adding additives (ex: ammonia) to the water 2 days ago, if yes than it should be cycled?
How would it be cycled if there was no addition of BB or the food to grow the BB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bacteria live on surfaces - like filter media, not in your tank's water. So please definitely do a lot of reading here on the forum. Use the search function. Here's a great explanation of the fishless cycle.

You'll need to do a full water change in order to make sure your tank isn't loaded down with any errant ammonia and so it's not overloaded with nitrates.
That link is helpful thanks!

How would it be cycled if there was no addition of BB or the food to grow the BB?

I thought I could cycle it using only ammonia, do I need to add bacteria as well?

·
Registered
92 Posts
No, you don't need to add bacteria. You can buy bottled bacteria but it's hit-or-miss and is totally unnecessary.
True, but he likely needs to add SOME source of bacteria, whether that’s a piece of filter media from a friend’s filter, or a bottle of BB (agreed, hit or miss), to introduce bacteria to get a cycle going.

·
Super Moderator
16,083 Posts
True, but he likely needs to add SOME source of bacteria, whether that’s a piece of filter media from a friend’s filter, or a bottle of BB (agreed, hit or miss), to introduce bacteria to get a cycle going.

Nah, wholly unnecessary. Nitrifying bacteria are everywhere. All you have to do is provide proper conditions and a food source - bam, they colonize. I rarely add anything to any new tank I set up and I set up a ton.

Adding filter media from an established system can help a little but it's not necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts