The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Smith regulator and it appears to have 3/8" female NPT fitting.
It is very tight and impossible to unscrew without vise or something. I see it has some hard sealant instead of teflon tape...

Any idea what to use to hold the regulator without damaging it?

This is the regulator I have;
http://store.cyberweld.com/smco2re30sem.html

It says in specs on that page: outlet connection: 5/8" - 18RH Internal....

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Just in case you're unsuccessful in trying to remove it (or you decide it's not worth the effort), I see 5 brass or 304 steel 3/8 to 1/8 NPT adapters on Evilbay for about $6 or less, shipped. Did a quick search, under business & industrial, for "3/8 1/8 npt -bsp -flare -tube -compression".

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just in case you're unsuccessful in trying to remove it (or you decide it's not worth the effort), I see 5 brass or 304 steel 3/8 to 1/8 NPT adapters on Evilbay for about $6 or less, shipped. Did a quick search, under business & industrial, for "3/8 1/8 npt -bsp -flare -tube -compression".
Cool, thanks for the tip!

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Wrap the regulator in a piece of cloth (so that it won't be damaged) and place into a solid bench vise.

That should allow you to apply enough torque on the outlet to remove it.

As for the sealant, if it is Loctite, in particular the red kind, it may be impossible to remove.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wrap the regulator in a piece of cloth (so that it won't be damaged) and place into a solid bench vise.

That should allow you to apply enough torque on the outlet to remove it.

As for the sealant, if it is Loctite, in particular the red kind, it may be impossible to remove.
Ouch... The sealant looks kind of brown

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
You can remove it. I've done 5 of those by hand. The absolute safest and easiest method of removing that part is to use an impact driver.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can remove it. I've done 5 of those by hand. The absolute safest and easiest method of removing that part is to use an impact driver.
I tried by hand but afraid to damage the gauges, they get in the way.
If I do not have an impact driver, maybe I can try to check some workshops who can help to remove it .

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's red Loctite, if you can't break it by hand, chances are the only way you'll get it loose is with heat. If you have any machine shops or welding/gas supply houses, they may be able to help. FWIW, If you look down into the fitting, it may have an Allen key opening that would make it a bit easier to remove. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I might just use a reduction nipple as kevmo911 suggested.
Any issues with using a reduction nipple or better remove that 3/8" fitting?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the Swagelok shop today to buy fittings and they helped me to remove that 3/8" fitting! It was blue loctite. These guys are awesome!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I went to the Swagelok shop today to buy fittings and they helped me to remove that 3/8" fitting! It was blue loctite. These guys are awesome!!!
Just think, the blue Loctite is the weakest version, meant for easy removal at a future time.... :)

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Rare to see epoxy glue on pipe connection, hopefully it is not the case here.

Loctite red is "permanent", but a heavy duty bench vise and a baton size torque wrench, the loctite red can not hold its ground and will eventually lose(on pipe connection), because the number of threads with loctite red on pipe fittings are not in good number as on the UNF bolts/screws.

epoxy glue type threadlocker is the worse, once apply, permanent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts