The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pastor of the church that I attend contacted me yesterday to tell me that an elderly man from our congregation passed away last week. He told me this because the deceased had a passion for fish tanks for many years and the mans widow needed help because she knew nothing about keeping fish. I was glad to help and we arranged for me to come over to have a look and to offer my assistance. I was expecting a small lil' tank and all that she needed was to be taught how to feed them. I was even willing to come over periodically to change water and so on.

I get over there today during lunch and....WOW! It has got to be the nicest collection of cichlids that I have ever seen and one of the biggest. The man was very well organized, I could tell. The fish hadn't eaten in about a week and therefore took the food right from my hand. What this nice lady wants is for someone to take the whole thing off her hands because there is no way that she is going to, or even want to take care of them. I told her that I could see what I can do and will have to get back with her and in the meantime will stop by tomorrow to take care of them. Before I left she gave me her husbands notebook where he kept his tank journal's. I'm not sure how accurate the species list is, or even what is exactly in the tank, but from what I can tell...the man was extremely organized and kept very good notes. I do like cichlids and have a few myself...a 20g with 3 Redbreast Acara's, but nothing like this collection.

Here's the list that's in the notebook (if I my spelling is off, I'm sorry..it's a lot of typing):

buccochromis rhoadesii
caprichromis liemi
caprichromis orthognathus
copadichromis
cyrtocara moorii
cynotilapia afra
dimidiochromis dimidiatus
gephyrochromis moorii
mylochromis guentheri
protomelas marginatus
protomelas pleurotaenia
protomelas spilonotus
protomelas taeniolatus
sciaenochromis fryeri
tramitichromis brevis
trematocranus placodon

(these are on a seperate page..don't know why)

aulonocara jacobfreibergi
aulonocara kandeense
aulonocara stuartgranti

and a couple CAE's... maybe more

I'm also not sure how many are in the tank because I haven't gotten through the notebook yet and I didn't take the time to count them when I was there, but there are many.

I need some help. I'm going to decide by tomorrow if I should take on this tank or find someone locally that can do the job and would want to. I certainly am thinking about taking it on myself, but my experience with cichlids is limited to the 'lil 20g that I have. I'm sure I can take the time to surf the 'net, but I wanted to check with you folks first... is there someone on PT that has knowledge of cichlids? If so, please let me know. First I'll need to know the fine details in moving these critters and of course what exactly will I be getting in to. If any of you want to point me in a direction to another forum, that's fine... but I do like you guys! :hihi:

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding. I'm gonna check out a cichlid forum and I put in a call to a cichlid club in MI

thanks again and any more help would be appreciated

***legal disclaimer***:smile:
I'm not sure if the list consists of the actual species in the tank.. it's just a list that was given to me but I will however, try to figure out and confirm what they actually are. My best guess would be (since the man kept such records and was very organized) that they're in there

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes... I meant Oh. I've got Mi on my mind.

I've spent most of last night going through his notes...amazing, some of the notes go back to 1970. There are notes in here on the Cyrtocara moorii aka; blue dolphin. If this fish is still in the tank, then he's over 15 years old. I find that difficult to believe, but I'm no expert on cichlids. I did notice that the last entry in his notes is dated 6-12-06, so I'm not sure what took place after that. I haven't posted this in any cichlid forum... plan on doing that today. I got kinda lost in reading the journals last night.

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm still debating whether I should take on this tank or not. Perhaps gathering more info would help me with the decision.

Kathy; the tank is a 275g

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Take some pictures of that tank...sounds amazing. 15 year old cichlid is hard to believe, but is possible i guess. Got to be a monster though.

If you got room for that tank, take that sucker. Cichlids are very easy to maintain, tons easier than a planted tank for sure. Just need alot of regular water changes and good water chemistry, especially pH. Other than that, feed and enjoy!!

Another forum to try www.cichlids.com

here is a great database of the species...
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.