Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my C02 up and running.

I have a 90gal with following water parms:

PH 6.7
KH 1.6
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10 ppm

Phosphate .25'ish (I've stopped running the Phosban reactor until things settle in.)

I change 20% once a month. (I have been doing this for 6 years. Fish are very healthy.)

I am presently adding 1 tsp Baking Soda twice daily until 9 tsp's have been added. This "should" bring KH to 7.

Fully planted (but not yet rooted). (I bought this "Holiday Special Package") They all look healthy.
Currently adding Seachem Plant Pack "Fundamentals" and "Enhancer:NPK" as per instruction on packs. I have ordered dry ferts (the Fertilizer Combo Pack from Rex Grigg)

Moderately stocked.
Eheim 2215 filter return through a UV.
Spray bar is attached to a Maxi Jet 1200 which cycles "on" for 30 minutes every other hour.

270 watts 6700K CFL (Current 4 bulb fixture).

C02 being added via an Aqua Medic 1000 reactor.

Questions:

What is a good starting bubble count? I presently have it set to 20 pm.

Should I run an air stone when the lights are off?

Should I stop using the "Flourish Excel" in the "Fundamentals" pack?

Any/all suggestions definitely welcome. This is my first attempt at a planted tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
everyone will tell you that you dont need excel with co2 but i think that the two of them work great together, although it may be a waste. yes your airstone should come on at night and you should turn off your co2 also. you can use timers for that.
i would start your bubble count off at a few bubbles per second and then adjust it daily until you have good pearling. invest in a drop checker it'll let you know how you're doing

i dont think that you need to get your kh up to 7. i would settle around 3

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I have a timer now for C02 off - Air-stone - on (In fact, they just switched). When I get to Lowes (after the snow) I plan to get a couple of digital timers so I can start the C02 a hour or so before the lights come on.

I'll use the Excel until it is gone (I got both kits from my LFS for free when I got rid of some "unruly" fish... we "traded")

I'll get a drop checker, and put KH at 3-4 and see how things go,

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
What is a good starting bubble count? I presently have it set to 20 pm.
Not too sure what "20 pm" means, but for a 90g, you might have to push at least 5 bubbles per second (bps), depending on how heavily planted it will eventually be.

Of course, as mentioned, using a drop checker to confirm CO2 levels is the best solution.

Should I run an air stone when the lights are off?
If you have a solenoid on your pressurized CO2, and it turns off at night, there is really no need to have an airstone turn on at night.

Should I stop using the "Flourish Excel" in the "Fundamentals" pack?
You mentioned that you ordered bulk chemicals from Rex Grigg. If you also ordered the trace mix (CSM+B), then you can stop using the commercial products to save money.

I'll get a drop checker, and put KH at 3-4 and see how things go,
Don't forget to use a reference 4 dkH solution in your drop checker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.