The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some Bolbitis, but need help with the planting. I'm finding conflicting information on planting it. Some sources are saying it is okay to plant it into the substrate, while others are saying it must be tied to driftwood. I shoved it into the substrate of my big tank just to keep track of it, but I don't want to kill it off. Is it okay to shallowly plant the rhizome, or should I be tying it to little bits of wood and then shoving it into the substrate and keeping the rhizome above substrate level?

Thanks!

·
Registered
866 Posts
definately on driftwood, exposed to as much flow as possible. It will slowly die if not. I do have this plant in my tank.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Hi HighDesert,

I do my Bolbitis just like my Microsorum pteropus (Java Ferns). I used to use thread to tie them to hardscape like stone or driftwood but for the last couple of years I have used Superglue Gel (gel works better doesn't run). I pull out the hardscape and pat it dry. I put two or three drops of Superglue Gel where I want to attach the rhizome, hold the rhizome against the glue for about 30 seconds, put the hardscape, plant, and all back in the tank.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information, Keithy and Roy! I am going to try to dig up some small pieces of driftwood. I will probably use your glue method, Roy. Is underneath the outflow from a HOB filter adequate flow?

·
Registered
866 Posts
yes. As long as there is adequate moving water that can help in transporting nutrients, you'll be good.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
keithy's suggestion is so true - I wish I knew about the high flow before! I tried this on driftwood in a tank before and it all rotted. Since my tanks are low tech/low light I figured that was the problem. Then I read about the high flow and I wedged it into crevasses on driftwood under my HOB. Being a non-Co2 tank, it just sat there for 2 months - now I have a lot of new growth and it's a s healthy as can be. The flow made all the difference!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You can glue [if glue sticks to rocks] or tie it to a small rock too. It grabs pretty fast then you can wedge it into a wood or rock crevice or lay on the substrate. Did that with a couple stray rhizomes and those plants are looking nice now.

Haven't had any rhizomes die on me yet but the fronds do break pretty easily. My big Bolbitis is looking quite thin at the moment because of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts