The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys need your help, I made a anubias bonsai. But some leaves are getting eaten i think?

This is the whole tank/tree:

And these are the leaves, what do you think? Eaten?

I have the following livestock:
  • some pond snails that just snuck in my tank
  • 3 amano shrimp
  • 2 otto
  • 2 danios
  • 1 betta
Or maybe my light is a bit too strong? My PAR is about 35-45.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Looks like the leaves are dying themselves, someone can chime in on deficiencies, but you can just trim the leaves off. None of those creatures in your tank are eating them but if it's dying, the potentially snails will clean it up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like the leaves are dying themselves, someone can chime in on deficiencies, but you can just trim the leaves off. None of those creatures in your tank are eating them but if it's dying, the potentially snails will clean it up.
thanks man! hmmm... i know its just two leaves but I just wanted to get ahead of everything. I'm dosing with the following:
  • Seachem Excel
  • All in done
  • All in red
  • All in green

No so sure what is inside but here is a picture

I also don't use C02, but it shouldn't be an issue for anubias right?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
626 Posts
From what I can see of your tank and your very brief description.... I would guess that you just set this anubias tree up. probably no more than a week ago.

This looks like melt, very common for new plants in a tank. Likely this will happen to a couple leaves on every plant on that tree you made. It also may not. just depends on the health of the plant and how well if can change to your water parameters. These leaves will not come back. I suggest pruning them once they begin to get those thready holes like you see in the lower plant in the close up. after a couple weeks this will stop and all new leaves will be healthy.

If the holes continue, it's usually a deficiency in Potassium or Iron in my experience. Though others will have more. But I think it's just the melt that is common when transferring plants.

Anubias won't need CO2. in fact they should love the shade from the lilies as well.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Anubias won't need CO2. in fact they should love the shade from the lilies as well.
Yeah, however they have other plants in the tank so that'd help the hairgrasa although my experience with liquid CO2, it helps but not as much as pressurized.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
In general, whenever I move my Anubius nana petites to a new spot, or create a clipping from a larger portion, I notice that they will show some signs of stress, like a yellowing leaf or one with some melt. I'll trim the leaf that is struggling, then leave it alone and let its roots take hold and get comfortable. Then I completely forgot about them and they soon snap back with healthy dark green coloration, smooth waxy leaves and new growth. Also avoid trimming their roots too much, as they don't seem to enjoy that either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.