The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New leaves on my sword are coming in red and translucent. However, once they get larger they turn green but still translucent. 10 gallon aquarium, 2x 13watt vertical cfl, seachem root tabs, flourish 2x weekly, excel every other day.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Those rounded leaves make me think that you don't have an Amazon sword, Echinodorus bleheri which has more spear-shaped leaves. Might be some other species or cultivar, in which case red to green transformation of the leaves is normal for many of them. The translucency you see looks normal to me. As the leaves mature, they will thicken up a bit.

Of course, someone more knowledged may come in and tell you about some deficiency.

Also, if you're comparing them to the bright green, long stemmed leaves you have, don't. Those look like emersed growth leaves. The new, red ones you see coming in are submersed growth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Almost all Amazon Sword plants have spoon or round paddle-like leaves when they are young. As they mature subsequent leaves become elongated ovate and pointed in shape. As for the transparency and coloration, you obviously have one of the many varieties that have been bred or discovered in the last two decades. Despite what the "experts" may claim, swords like bright light. Intense light will cause them to become covered in algae, but bright constant light for six hours (plus) a day results in sturdy reddish leaves. If yours has a stripped lattice-like pattern you're lucky. Unless you were hoping for the usual deep green leaved variety. Be sure to feed it with a plant tab every three months or so and keep any dead/browning leaves trimmed. Once established they are hard to kill. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think its called a diamond sword, Will look it up after I get the kid to school.
I have one too. The leaves are reddish when young and then go green....

You have cornered hat plant too much It takes up the space of a foot wide circle.

Mine was doing too well, I need to redo the 6 gal, as it is casting shadows over everything

Mine grows well without much in the line of ferts, needs a bit of iron occasionally, but so do most plants.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I was getting worried there may have been a fert defficency or some other problem. Now Ill just move it further away the glass and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Ok, I looked it up for you, it is called a red diamond sword or Echinodorus 'red Diamond'.
It is probably a cross between Echinodorus horemanni 'Red' and Echinodorus ‘Barthii’

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.