The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have observed one of my 4 Amano shrimp today being very inactive and not grazing. I am only home and awake from work for 3 hours a day and during this time the shrimp did not move much from its perch and did not seem to be grazing at all. It's coloration is also slightly opaque and it has a white spot near the tail and on one of its legs.

Is this shrimp sick or is it about to molt? Is there anything I can do to help it? The water parameters are all good, I tested today. Ammonia and nitrites 0, nitrates ~15, pH 7, co2 measures normal. I dot have a kh/gh test kit so I can't check it, but the snails and other shrimp seem completely normal.

Also, I'm aware of a disease that shrimp get called vorticella, though all cases I've found online seem to show the disease visible near the mouth. I will try and treat this shrimp tomorrow with a salt bath if symptoms do not improve to be sure that it isn't Vorticella.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: The shrimp still didn't look too good when I got home today, though it was active. I dosed Melafix for mild antibiotic effects (I don't want to shock the shrimp) and did a small water change. Had a bit of a snafu with my co2 system (unrelated to this issue) which stressed the shrimp (DO'H!) so that was crappy. Hopefully positive progress is made. I'm also suspecting my TDS to be quite high after looking up the water quality report for my region and will begin introducing distilled water slowly over time to lower the parameter.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Amanos tend to be like tanks. You say your ammonia was 0 so when did you get it and how did you acclimate it?
Sounds like either bacteria or stress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.