The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am new here and I would like to open by giving a huge, “Thank you!” to all of you for providing such an amazing resource. I have a planted tank that I have been working on for about 6 months. I started out by adding way to much light, DIY CO2 and insufficient ferts and ended up with BGA outbreak that completely took over my entire tank. I have since fought back. Through reading much on this site and a few others, I have revamped my whole system and am starting to get toward a place of balance. I have completely beaten back the BGA, and am seeing new growth through-out the tank.

With the receding of the BGA, I am starting to get a new algae that is not growing as fast and furious as the BGA, but I want to get control before it becomes a problem. The new algae looks like diatoms, but the tank has been established for a couple of years. But, like I said above, I have made a lot of changes so maybe I opened the door for diatoms. Or, maybe it is not diatoms, I could certainly be wrong. I am attaching pictures in the hopes that you can help me with the some of the following questions:

What type of Algae is this?
Do I have enough light?
I have Geismann aquaflora that is about 6 months old but the ends seem burned (see photo), could this be causing the issue?
I start-up the CO2 an hour and half before the lights come on, but my drop checker is still blue when the lights come on. It does turn green within an hour or so of when the lights come on, and stays green throughout the rest of the day. Could this be contributing to the issue?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

David

Tank Summary

Lighting
2 X 54W T5HO
1 Giesmann Aquaflora
1 Deep Blue 10,000 K
3.5" Above surface and 19" above substrate
8 hours/Day in two periods 4 hours in the morning, 2 hour break, 4 hours afternoon/evening

CO2 Injection

Fertilization Dosing
60-80 Gallons
3/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week
3/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/4 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/4 tsp (15ml) traces 3x a week

Filter
Wet/Dry with Mag 9.5 pump

Substrate
75% Eco Complete, 25% Sand

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Diatoms can start up any time there has been a big upheaval in the tank, I hope that is just diatoms and once the plants get into gear again they will shake them off.

Check the pH of the tank water before CO2 starts going in the morning and when the lights come on. If there is at least a 1 degree drop you are probably fine. Check the pH in the middle of the photoperiod and at the end as well to see what is going on. Don't use the pH-KH chart to determine how MUCH CO2 is in the tank, just look for that 1 degree of change. Ideally the CO2 would be at its maximum amount before lights go on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.