The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asembling a small tank that has plants above, using the filter as a "vase". The filter is a Tetra Wonder that I found at Petsmart for 14 bucks.

Anyhow, I have it in a 10 gallong frameless handbuilt tank. I added a 20" coralife and suspended it by adding glass walls to the sides. I would like to raise the filter 4-6 inches but am lost as to the best method. Currently they sit on about an inch of a slate kind of flat rock.

So how would you proposed raising the filter and still keep it looking natural? I have considered building an eggcrate pillar and attaching slate to it. But I dont know if it would suport the weight.

Let me know what you think about the project and about my dilemma.

chaz

·
Registered
803 Posts
How about finding anything that would make a "hill" such as weighted styrofoam, then glue some of your gravel to it to cover it? I'm a newbie to aquariums, so I don't know if that would work, but it's the only thing I could think of.

BTW, nice tank! If I were you, I'd put some sort of dark substrate in there. I think it would look nicer with something more the same color as the filter ~ would make the filter "blend in" more.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Chaz, looks good!!
I think the filter would look better in the corner...with different substrate, but it looks cool!

I think your eggcrate idea would work well if you used PVC to support the weight.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will look for some slate this weekend. I centered the filter because I am building some "trays" which will flank the sides of the filter for more plants. I will be able to add soil in the trays, and grow some terrestrial plants.

Thanks for all the input, will post progress photos.

chaz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.