The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
rosetail betta in a 10 gallon
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am coming up on 4 weeks of my first aquascape.
here are some details:
10 gallon, eco-complete substrate, driftwood, lots of plants i cant even name half of them, plant light by fluval set 7 hours a day at 25% intensity. (youtube directed me to use lower intensity because 10 gal is considered a small tank.) I just changed the filter of my bettas tank and put the old filter pad in with the one on this tank. I read that adding material from a fish tank can help it cycle faster. I have not changed the original filer cartridge yet. I have done one 50% water change last week.

I am starting to see a little algae (brown i think) and I have found about 6 snails over the course of 2 weeks ( i should have bleach dipped my plants from the store, to late now).

so I have some watersprite behind my driftwood in my tank, but the light doesn’t really hit it that well and I think that is why its dying. does anyone have any background plant recommendations that require very little light? or even a solution to my problem?
here are some pictures!

Thanks.
ps any advice or tips to make this tank better would be great.
Water Plant Botany Nature Fish supply
Plant Water Organism Pet supply Vegetation
Water Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Hood

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes that area behind the hardscape is going to be an issue with that low light. You could try to trap a little bit of frogbit back there (use some air tubing and make a ring). The plant will float on top and grow longer roots. Brown algae will always be a bit of an issue with new tanks. Just keep cleaning it and it should go away as things balance out. Keep doing weekly water parameter checks until it's cycled. Nice tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The plant in question appears to be water sprite..I had the same issue with mine a few years back…it took off like a weed at first and then after a rescape it started to turn brown and die just like yours appears to be..with water sprite you have to be very careful to not damage or break the main stem..also your position isn’t the best as that tall piece of wood will block most of the light for that plant…water sprite also loves to take nutrients from the water column..but I was able to bring it back with a vengeance but floating it closer to the light and also increasing my lights brightness and dosed some ferts once in awhile.Also try raising your light a few inches higher above your tsnk to get it spread out better and cover more of your tank..I had to raise my fluval 3.0 to achieve total coverage as well..I wish fluval wouldn’t make their lights so low profile for this reason. good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
rosetail betta in a 10 gallon
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plant in question appears to be water sprite..I had the same issue with mine a few years back…it took off like a weed at first and then after a rescape it started to turn brown and die just like yours appears to be..with water sprite you have to be very careful to not damage or break the main stem..also your position isn’t the best as that tall piece of wood will block most of the light for that plant…water sprite also loves to take nutrients from the water column..but I was able to bring it back with a vengeance but floating it closer to the light and also increasing my lights brightness and dosed some ferts once in awhile.Also try raising your light a few inches higher above your tsnk to get it spread out better and cover more of your tank..I had to raise my fluval 3.0 to achieve total coverage as well..I wish fluval wouldn’t make their lights so low profile for this reason. good luck!
how diid you raise you light? I was thinking that would be smart but I do not know how unless I make some DIY contraption
If i raise it up for better coverage, should I raise the intensity? I have it oin 25% for 7 hours on a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
how diid you raise you light? I was thinking that would be smart but I do not know how unless I make some DIY contraption
If i raise it up for better coverage, should I raise the intensity? I have it oin 25% for 7 hours on a 10 gallon tank.
I was lucky enough to have a metal bracket from another fixture that I used parts from..it was a chironos fixture that I no longer use and took the brackets off..I will attach an image to show you and maybe you can construct one yourself..and as for the lightning intensity, raised or not 25% I would say isn’t enough for those plants you have..water sprite and micro sword I believe it is need a bit more light. Also water sprite tend to use up quite a bit of nutrients from the water column so maybe consider dosing some ferts. with it raised I would go for around 40% to 50% and make it an 8 hour light period..if algae starts to pop up than lower the intensity a bit but keep the 8 hours.. I would say I raised my light about 4 inches..you just need to raise it enough until you the light hitting all corners.
Wood Sports equipment Flooring Fender Automotive wheel system
Wood Automotive exterior Rectangle Flooring Glass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts