The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone:proud:I have recently came into a 42 gallon tank that the last owner of my house just left here :eek5:.I want to set it up and get it going instead of how I have been using it now (holding frog spawn from my pond).But I don't have a huge budget so I can't afford anything really expensive eg c02.So I just want to have a low tec tank can I get bit of advice on what plants I should get ,what lighting I should get ect?.I've already made a community (tell me if there is somthing wrong with it) 2 paired angle fish,2 bristle nose cat fish,6 yoyo loaches,5 sterpas cory,5 bleeding heart tetras, 5 platies or mollys (going to raise the number to 10 with breeding) and maybe, if I can fit them a few otos or shrimp.I want to make the theme amazon by the way;)

chris:fish:

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I'm new to this forum, so i can't help too much, but there's a sticky in this section about low light plants. I read through it and that helped me a lot as far as plants go. There's a lighting forum also. You can use to search function to find threads that may help for lighting. Sorry that I couldn't help more, but congrats on the tank!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think picking out your light fixture is probably your first challenge. Since you don't want to go with pressurized CO2, you'll need a fixture that will give you just the right amount of light- not too much, but not too little...

What's your budget like, and what fixtures are available to you? ('fraid I don't know what brands and all are available in London...?)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I' not entirely sure what my budget is because I'll be getting most of it at the end of the year or in 2010

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read something on ripariums and they sound really intresting,would I be able to have my community if I turn my tank into a riparium.And are ripariums low tec

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I dont think you could keep all the fish if you turned it into a riparium, but I highly recomend that you start one. I am also starting a 20g rip, and it is a great low budget planted tank.

Regards,
Jake

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ripariums look really cool,I have researched them a bit more.I love the swampy,riverside look:smile: but could you tell me if my tank is suitable for making a riparium.I'll post pictures tommorow

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldn't get the pictures up.But I changed my mind about a ripariums,I still think they look nice,but they look really hard to make,and i am terrible at planting:redface:.Are there any other suggestions?

please reply

thanks

EDIT:by the way I decided to go with DIY C02

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I am pretty sure DIY Co2 is more for smallish tanks. For lighting, there are good hydroponic T5HO lights that are some what cheap, ($50 for a 1ft light).
Hope that helps!
Jake

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was a really intresting link! I will probably get some sort of fert but I am not sure what to get yet. also I didn't understand this part >>. Fish food varies in it's amount and ratio of nutrients. This is not an issue unless it becomes limiting. Very often since non CO2 tanks get neglected, they have trouble growing certain plants. If these nutrients are not allowed to bottom out(Say PO4 or NO3), then many of the species folks suggest cannot be kept, suddenly can be kept in non CO2 tanks but they simply grow slower.

could you explain?

thanks everyone for the suggestions:icon_mrgr

chris:fish:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh by the way do you think I could add more fish or am I pushing it as it is?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're definitely pushing it, especially with the wonderful reproductive abilities of platies and mollies. That's alotta loach also, when they're done growing you'll have 36 inches worth! If I were in your position I would stick with 2 angels, 1 bristlenose, a pair or trio of loaches, a trio of cories, and the 5 tetras (of which you could then beef up since you reduce the numbers in other places). You'd still have a well stocked tank, but you'd be able to keep your conditions fairly stable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot, cories and loaches both prefer a substrate they can sift their barbels through in search for food. So nothing sharp or bigger than pea-sized. Preferably a sand, in sections, if not the whole thing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What if I swap the tetras for the platys? I just have a soft spot for the platys.Everything else sounds fine to me:wink:

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
2 paired angle fish,2 bristle nose cat fish,6 yoyo loaches,5 sterpas cory,5 bleeding heart tetras, 5 platies or mollys (going to raise the number to 10 with breeding) and maybe, if I can fit them a few otos or shrimp
Is already a huge bioload for a 42gal tank.

If you're wanting to do an Amazon theme, I'd recommend removing the yoyo loaches. 1) they're Asian, not South American, 2) 6x adult yoyos is too many for this tank anyways.

I'd go with Platies over Mollies, as Mollies are very high bioload fish. Platies also reproduce at a slightly lower rate (though you'll still have to thin your population on a regular basis no matter what livebearer you choose. The angelfish might do it for you, though...)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea that's why I chose the angle fish:icon_smil and all the leftovers I can give to my lfs and if they dont want them then I will have to feed them to mr axolotl:icon_wink ,probably a stupid question and I probably won't be able to, but what could I replace the loaches with?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry probably an even dumber question but what can i swap to put a betta in?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't personally replace the loaches with anything, as of yet (but dwarf south american cichlids could be a possibility). Get everything rolling, introduce fish slowly, and refer to the revised stocking levels. I agree with Laura on platies over mollies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.