The Planted Tank Forum banner

HELP! White worm in Java Moss!

8380 18
Help guys! I just bought a massive amount of Java moss from a member. Great guy and moss is really lush. But what I did was I put it in a jar and left it next to the window stance for indirect sunlight. It's doing well... the thing is I was told the Java moss has some MTS babies in there.. but today I see these weird white worm looking things! OMG I NEED THEM OUT! I have no idea what that is... why or how they got there! I did not put the moss in the tank in the first place is due to the MTS. Now I don't know what to do.. with MTS or The white worm things.. I have attached a photograph below.

Please help! :'( It's a lot of moss. (This is for my shrimp tank)
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
If they're planaria, you should be worried and treating the moss in the container it is in. If it's not planaria, there's probably no reason to be worried.
You might want to switch that around. ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without a clear photo, it's tough to identify them. If they're planaria, you should be worried and treating the moss in the container it is in. If it's not planaria, there's probably no reason to be worried.

And Malaysian Trumpet Snails won't get too out-of-control if you don't overfeed.
Well good thing is I never put it inside the tank. Only jar. As for the MTS I don't want any snails :( and sorry that's a phone photo zoomed in. I'll see if I can take a better picture.

·
Registered
628 Posts
?

Planaria can cause problems with shrimp - especially young or freshly-molted shrimp.

Flat worms and other white detritus worms aren't much to worry about.
I've never had planaria bother anything even in my shrimp tank. Also didn't know the OP had shrimp.

·
Administrator
17,839 Posts
Shrimp = mentioned in their post beneath the photo.

Feel free to search the forum for planaria and shrimp. Usually not an issue in tanks that aren't developed just for shrimp. Their populations - like common snails - also tend to explode with overfeeding.

I've never had planaria bother anything even in my shrimp tank. Also didn't know the OP had shrimp.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here is a link to another post where we were discussing white worms that look similar to planaria but are different....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=340946

I had some in my tank a few days ago that looked like the ones in Clemsons2k's pics. I wasn't sure what the white worms I had were, could have been ok, or could have been planaria. I used the safeguard method to get rid of them, and now 2 days later my tank looks clear, and it didn't affect my cherry shrimp at all. I used 1/10th of a 1 gram packet of safeguard for my 10gallon tank. Some have said it they may not be a problem, but I don't like worms in my tank, and wanted to get rid of them before it possibly became a problem.

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you!

Thank you so much! These are the things that are there in the moss jar :'(

Here is a link to another post where we were discussing white worms that look similar to planaria but are different....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=340946

I had some in my tank a few days ago that looked like the ones in Clemsons2k's pics. I wasn't sure what the white worms I had were, could have been ok, or could have been planaria. I used the safeguard method to get rid of them, and now 2 days later my tank looks clear, and it didn't affect my cherry shrimp at all. I used 1/10th of a 1 gram packet of safeguard for my 10gallon tank. Some have said it they may not be a problem, but I don't like worms in my tank, and wanted to get rid of them before it possibly became a problem.

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you want to treat the container the plants are in and don't mind killing the snails you could do a potassium permanganate dip. I think you can get it at lowes or Home Depot in the water softener section. I remember seeing a thread about it somewhere on this forum. :)

·
Administrator
17,839 Posts
It's just a nematode and won't harm your shrimp or other critters. They tend to pop up in new tanks and in tanks where overfeeding is common.

If you want to get rid of them, you could add some tiny fish to eat them up and then remove the fish. Or you could treat with a medication that kills worms (but that can also add complications).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.