The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been setting up a new 10 gallon for about one month NOW. This is the test results today. AMMONIA 8.0 PPM-NITRITE 1.0 PPM-NITRATE 20 PPM Do I change the water and how much? OR Do I leave it,? and it will run its course?
I have 4 Zebra Danios, Water Sprite Java Moss, Pearl Grass, I'M trying to get as much BB as possible. OH yea I'M cycling filter is one NEW 20 gallon Hydrosponge Filter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
have you used ammo lock or any similar ammonia binding treatments? sometimes they'll still register elevated ammonia on test kits after use. Personally at that level i'd do a water change thats damn high ammonia unless its supposed to be .8 even then i personally dont like measureable ammonia at all in my tanks.

Hopefully it clears up with no casualties.

jason

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Oh. ADA. It leeches ammonia. I wouldn't have added fish that early. Have another container for them?

Do a bunch of WCs on the ADA to drop the ammonia.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I red with PH 6.5 the danger is 11 PPM. Anyone now this to be so? If I dont change the water does Anyone know how long I have before the cycle is complete.. I havent cycled a tank in 7 years thank you for any input.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I red with PH 6.5 the danger is 11 PPM. Anyone now this to be so? If I dont change the water does Anyone know how long I have before the cycle is complete.. I havent cycled a tank in 7 years thank you for any input.
If you don't do WCs it'll take forever. Why? Because ADA AquaSoil leeches ammonia for a long while without constant WCs. I did 6 50% WCs on my tank before the ammonia dropped to below 1ppm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think you should take your fish out ,put them in your 55gal tank and start doing 50% water changes once a week on the 10gal until it cycles and the ammonia goes down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Monday April 2nd Today my Test Show without water change Ammonia is going down 4.0 PPM- and Nitrite is up 2.0 PPM.. The Danio's dont seem to be streesing..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a two part question the second part of the question #2 If I leave the cycle alone without changeing the water will the the the cycle be over sooner than later? thank you for all of your help! what are the adverse affects without a water change.?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you don't do WCs it'll take forever. Why? Because ADA AquaSoil leeches ammonia for a long while without constant WCs. I did 6 50% WCs on my tank before the ammonia dropped to below 1ppm.
Sure this takes care of the ammonia but does it slow down the cycle. My PH is 6.5 remember ammonia is not dangerous with a PH below 7.0 thanks for everyone's input..

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
First off ammonia is dangerous below 7.0....the lower pH and lower temp means that more of the ammonia is ammonium but not all of it. Take a look at the site below for a chart.

http://www.thekrib.com/Chemistry/ammonia-toxicity.html

If you have lots of plants in the tank you don't really need to cycle the tank. The plants will suck up ammonia produced by your fish rather quickly. Additionally the plants you added have bacteria on them already. The fastest way for your to cycle your tank would be to start doing a bunch of water changes to bring the ammonia levels down. Also take some old media from the filter on your 55gal tank and either add it to your new filter or squeeze the crud from your old filter media into your new tank (ideally you would even drop the whole piece of used media the tank for a few days).

Without waterchanges you risk killing your fish (or doing permanant gill damage that although it may not kill them will scar thier gills reducing their ability to get O2 from the water).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent!!!!!! oblongshrimp that is Excellent!!!!!! I will do that NOW!!!! I will do 3/4 WC take the poly filter out of the 55gal canister and drop it in the new 10gal Tank... I have done 2 WC's 30% &50% Ammonia is still 8.0 PPM & Nitrite is 2.0-5.0 PPM & the zebra danoi are very TuFF.. Will that be to big of a W/C for the media?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts