The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mini M aquarium with an Oto, 20-30 or so Cherry shrimp, 6 Tetras, and a bunch of pond snails. What is this stuff that has been accumulating in my Aquasoil since I set up my tank 8 months ago?

I'm pretty sure it's not waste from the shrimp,fish, and snails, but who knows. I thought Aquasoil isn't supposd to dissolve? Also, I've recently moved out the Tetras and added a Dwarf Puffer so all the snails are gone.

As for my water parameters, I have pretty hard water, like 7.6-8. I use Prime to dechlorinate my tap water. I add about .5 ml of Excel a day. I used to add the other Seachem ferts as well but have been neglecting to recently. I've tried siphoning it out when I do my weekly water changes, but that also dislodges the roots of the HC and I'd prefer not to do that. Any ideas on what this stuff is and how I get rid of it/prevent it?

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read here about a week ago that a guy "power washes" his substrate using a power head and a piece of hose attached to the output. Seemed like a good idea so I tried it. Worked like a charm. Once it was stirred up, about 1/2 was picked up my my filter. After what was left settled, I "power washed" it again. Then I had 1/4 of the original left. Repeat as necessary. Didn't realize how important keeping the substrate clean in a planted tank was. Turns out that all of the by-products of the organics breaking down were what was causing most of my Algae problems.

YMMV but HTH!
________
RedHead live

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's a lot of poo...
never vacuum your soil?
What bsmith said. It is hard to vacuum the soil without it pulling up the AS, and also dislodging all the roots of my HC. I'll see what I can do about stirring that stuff up and siphoning it out. Thanks for the help guys. I never even knew the word "mulm".

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
if the ADA Soil is that light, isn't blowing it with the powerhead can also mess the AS too?
In a word, no. The Aqua Soil should do fine in a strong current.

i just remember is this the same mulm problem as mentioned in Tom Barr's behemoth tank?
Same word. No. :icon_wink

The issue in Tom Barr's big aquarium was not water flow. Tom believed it was the weight and pressure of such a large amount of water on the Aqua Soil.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts