The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone ID this stuff and provide a solution to remove it all? I've been reading for a week and can't find what it is.

My setup.

65gal bowfront, 5 2" red bellies, 1 HOB mechanical filter, 1 Fluval FX5 for biological filtration, UV sterilizer. Various live plants.

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Are they like little clear empty sac looking things?

My daughter's sword plant had them all over about a week after setting it up, but once we put fish in there they all went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do have malaysian driftwood. They look like they're living organisms. definately not water spots. They waive in the current and come back within 24-48 hrs of cleaning.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pics. It could be slime mold, which is harmless and very interesting stuff. I had it on my driftwood when I started up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
No it's not hydra. Do you dose at all? I have noticed this on my low tech tank. It's a type of brown algae. Caused by lots o light with no co2. Or no ferts added. Low circulation as well. Could be caused by a bunch of things

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't have a clues as to what it is, and it may be coincidence, but I had the exact same thing a week prior to my columnaris outbreak. I always wondered if it was connected...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it's not hydra. Do you dose at all? I have noticed this on my low tech tank. It's a type of brown algae. Caused by lots o light with no co2. Or no ferts added. Low circulation as well. Could be caused by a bunch of things
I do not have co2 other than daily added co2 booster and I run my lights 12+ hrs a day. I am cutting the lights to about 6 hrs a day and going to do another cleaning tomorrow to see if less light helps.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
How long has the tank been set up? I'm wondering if it's something that gets a bloom during the initial cycle?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had that in my 30G tall and it came back after scrubbing. Finally I assumed the driftwood was rotting so I pulled out and replaced it with a new, store bought root. Within 24 hours the stuff was on the root. I poured 1/2 cup of Excel and the white stuff was gone the next morning!

·
Registered
225 Posts
It could just be due to a lack of carbon. It's in my low tech but not my hi-mid.
Was the tank properly cycled?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts