The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It looks like BBA (black beard algae). It's a tough call on how to eliminate it best. You should provide us with a lot more tank details (tank size, lighting, filtration, any CO2 supplementation, fertilizer dosing routine, etc) so that we can better assess the situation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank size 60gallon

I have
2x 30w T8 tubes (boyu)
2x 28W T5 N0

I have gravel in it mixed with jbl florapol
I was dosing jbl ferropol and also had Diy co2 in the tank.

Its been 2 days now i:-
Removed the Diy co2 from my tank
I have removed all the infected leaves
And stopped dosing the ferts

The algae was growing only on older leaves of amazon swords..and when new leaves grow old the algae will start to grow on it.

Anything else i can do to prevent the algae to come again?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
10 hours per day

I cannot afford pressurized co2 atm...low on budget..

Then you need to lower your photoperiod to maybe 7-8hrs hit the tank with excel and direct dose the affected areas with excel or H2o2.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cant find excel either...
i have removed all the infected leaves in my tank,only on the plant in the first picture i have left it as it is...
i have direct dose the plant with H202 2 days ago,(2ml/gal)..i algae is still here on the plant in the first picture ,but the colour of the strands have become a bit brown/grey

Al i have lost ALLLL the leaves of my hornwort.....:/ :/

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Oh no! Everybody remembers to post that vals and Eleodea are sensitive to Excel but hornwort is a bit touchy. I wonder if removing it before treating the tank and putting it back after the bubbles are gone would have saved it?

A change in color is what you are looking for. It was killed. The trick is keeping it gone by the small changes suggested - reducing the lighting period and trying to keep CO2 more consistent. I read that using a couple bottles on an alternating replacement schedule works best for DIY CO2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts