The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have started up a new planted tank using RO water, and I know you must add back trace elements/buffers to the water.... but I have no clue what im measuring when it come to water hardness.

Im looking to set the parameters of the tank around: gH 3-5 with kH 2
But the test I have measures the GH in "mg/l CACO3" and KH in mg/l
How do I convert this to get a regular GH or KH reading?

My water is yet far (from the test):
GH - 60 mg/l
KH - 20 mg/l

Can anyone shine light on this chemistry confusion... I just cant seem to comprehend what means what, and I've done my share of reading too....

·
Banned
260 Posts
Hiya

I am new to RO water too and having to get my head around this stuff too.

mg/l is equal to ppm

So your
GH - 60 mg/l can also be read as 60 ppm
KH - 20 mg/l can also be read as 20 ppm

To get the degrees of hardness dH, you divide by 17.9.

So this means that

GH - 60 mg/l can also be read as 60 ppm which when divided by 17.9 = 3.35 dH
KH - 20 mg/l can also be read as 20 ppm which when divided by 17.9 = 1.12 dH

This is how I understand things, hopefully this can be confirmed by someone much more experienced than me... :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya

I am new to RO water too and having to get my head around this stuff too.

mg/l is equal to ppm

So your
GH - 60 mg/l can also be read as 60 ppm
KH - 20 mg/l can also be read as 20 ppm

To get the degrees of hardness dH, you divide by 17.9.

So this means that

GH - 60 mg/l can also be read as 60 ppm which when divided by 17.9 = 3.35 dH
KH - 20 mg/l can also be read as 20 ppm which when divided by 17.9 = 1.12 dH

This is how I understand things, hopefully this can be confirmed by someone much more experienced than me... :)
Wow! I hope your right, cuz then i'm just about on track!

With a KH as low as this, is there any good way to handle the pH if you want to inject CO2? When I put in my diffuser around 1.5 bpm, my pH sinks.... but if worst comes to worst I can do with out the CO2...

·
Registered
354 Posts
With a KH as low as this, is there any good way to handle the pH if you want to inject CO2? When I put in my diffuser around 1.5 bpm, my pH sinks.... but if worst comes to worst I can do with out the CO2...
I dont understand what you're getting at. Regardless of the KH, pH will always drop the same amount for the same amount of CO2.

A 1 point pH drop always indicates a 10 times increase in CO2 regardless of the KH value if all other variables remain constant.

Unless you're just saying a low KH equates to a low pH and CO2 will lower it more.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Get the KH up just a bit, and the pH will probably be more stable, though it will still show a drop. Get it closer to the 2 degrees (35 ppm) that you were aiming for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts