The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for the last couple days, Ive found that mag drives leak, and Pentair Quiet One, are not so quiet... but what i have not found, is quality suggestions.

Specs-
around 500gph +/- 100gph
external / in-line
quiet
quality -won't leak
under $100

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I have been wondering about the same thing,I even bought a GEN X 6000,it's way too loud,I've heard people saying good things about "poseidon pumps(expensive) and how quiet they are.
I think we should expect pumps over 800 GPH to be slightly noisy .

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/pumps.php?product_ID=wp-ps2
The Poseidon pumps are apparently the same as Blueline Velocity pumps. If you go to any of the reef sites, you'll find plenty of comments on them. I got one of the Velocity pumps from Champion Lighting & Supply. I can vouch for it moving a lot of water and for it being dead silent. It gets pretty hot, however, and can heat even a large tank to over 80 degrees.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I own two Velocity T4. Like dipan said, it is dead quiet. One is an old Custom Sealife on a 155g reef. Been running since 2000. The other one, Blueline, has been running nonstop since 2003 on my 90g reef. It is a little bit hot but I would not expect someone to use this in a small tank. I used to have a Mag12 on the 90g Reef and the temp was the same. They move a lot of water.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah, I meant the 1262, just had the 1250 in my head since it was mentioned. As I recall the 1262 is rated about the same GPH as the QO4000 at about 6 foot head and are over double the price. I've been told ocean runners were also good when I was looking, but ended up getting the QO. Will see how loud they are in a couple months when I got everything setup.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I use a Mag 500 externally. It doesn't leak, but it does give off some heat. Where are your mags leaking? If it's the threads, you just need a bit of teflon tape. If not, either you got a dud, or I got the best one :).

I've run eheims externally too. Not as powerful as Mags, but they come ready-made for tubing. If you don't need a ton of push, eheims are darn nice. Otherwise, I still say Mags are the best bang for the buck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.